A few questions. I need some help

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Skossan
STARTING OUT

A few questions. I need some help

Post by Skossan »

Hello guys.

I'm new to the forum here and pretty new to the bodybuilding/workout community.

I recently started taking physical health seriously. goal is to be comfortable in myself and with the way I look. At the moment this is not the case.

I am going to the gym 4 times a week currently. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and once over the weekend (day can differ depending on what I do).

Muscle pain is no longer anything I get. Iv'e gone past that stage.

I wonder, how do I keep building and growing muscles.

Do I just slowly add more weight to reps? How many reps should I do? Do I continue with 10-12 reps for 3 sets?

Some days when I workout I can really feel that I've done good after session is done but later in the evening I don't feel anything in muscles, it's like I could go to the gym again.

I take BCAA and Protein Powder to help me with transformation.

Currently I bench press without any weights, so just the bar.
I deadlift 40kg
I usually use the 6kg dumbells.

Any tips or help is welcome.

As for food. I try and eat healthy. I not really eating sweets/candy anymore. I try and stay away from sugar too. I eat more greens than ever before.

I just pray that I'll see change soon. All I want it to be able to take shirt off and not dislike myself you know.

Thanks for reading this post, once again. All input/help is greatly appreciated.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: A few questions. I need some help

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Skossan,good to talk to you.

The supplements you are taking are perfectly fine for what you are trying to do, but it is time and patience that is mostly responsible for the end results you seek. If there were quick solutions to peoples goals, I'd be espousing them as much as the next guy would, but as for the diet what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times.

8-10 rep ranges for 3 sets on stuff is perfectly fine, but what you could be looking to do, I think, is add small amounts of weight on when you're hitting a 12 rep range, and depending on what you're doing whether it's an exercise where you

A: work both working limbs separately with dumbbells or one to two cables

B: work both working limbs in tandem use a bar or cable, you should be looking at 5-7 reps on the new weight for scenario A: and 8-9 reps for scenario B:

Progressive improvement is best not just sticking with the same thing week in week out in terms of weight used, but obviously the body does have peaks and plateaus, so eventually you will hit a temporary or permanent ceiling limit.
Vegas Jon
STARTING OUT

Post by Vegas Jon »

While DOMS is an indicator of a good workout (what you are referring to is delayed onset muscle soreness). However, it is not required to make progress. Just because you do not feel sore in that way does not mean you aren't progressing.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Absolutely. I've seen people write about getting DOMS everywhere but in the shoulders and thinking they must be doing something wrong on a shoulder workout and that wouldn't necessarily be the case.