Do protein shakes help you in weight lifting?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

puja_sharma
STARTING OUT

Do protein shakes help you in weight lifting?

Post by puja_sharma »

I am hitting a gym for last one month, but sadly I am unable to weightlift more kgs than what I used to lift on the first day.
When I ask friend he suggests me to take protein shake as an energy booster, is it right and healthy way?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Do protein shakes help you in weight lifting?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Puja, good to talk to you.

Protein shakes can be useful if you get the right sort of ones, but to be honest if your eating is right then thee is no immediate need to use one, the moment lifting potential hits a stumbling block.

Sometimes peoples progress can be stalled by using the same workout constantly, but many times changing and changing and changing your routine again can yield no progress because the eating is substandard.

So I would consider looking at how you eat as a means of continuing progress more than anything else.
puja_sharma
STARTING OUT

Post by puja_sharma »

Thanks for the reply,
that do, clear up some things for me.
Thanks again.
Amn
STARTING OUT

Post by Amn »

If you are able to meet your everyday requirement of protein, there is no need of adding protein shakes to your diet.

I think that your diet is not spot on. You are not able to constantly grow your muscles and that's why you are not able to lift heavy.

friend was in a similar situation a few months back. He then started trying to lift weights heavier than what he was lifting at that time. Slowly and steadily he began to make progress.

So, I will suggest you try and lift heavier in the last set of your exercise. This will break more of your muscle and fibers. You can then recover them by giving proper nutrition.

I am sure that this will work.

Thank You.
puja_sharma
STARTING OUT

Post by puja_sharma »

Amn wrote: friend was in a similar situation a few months back. He then started trying to lift weights heavier than what he was lifting at that time. Slowly and steadily he began to make progress.
Yes, I haven't tried lifting heavier weight, I am afraid of any muscle cramp.
Amn
STARTING OUT

Post by Amn »

Proper stretching before a workout will reduce the chances of muscle cramps. Moreover, I think you should keep yourself hydrated while working out.

Thank You.
Jaryprest
STARTING OUT

Post by Jaryprest »

Hello,

I would say that 24g of whey protein an hour before a workout would help, however if you are just starting out it will take some time for your nervous system to adapt in order to see real GAINZ. I would make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition. I go with the 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, 2.5 grams of carbs per body weight. And 0.25-0.5 g of fat per pound.

Keep in mind this puts you in a heavy caloric surplus. If you gain more than 2 pounds week to week you may need to adjust the numbers. At the end of the day make sure you are getting enough protein, rest, and not overtraining/overreaching. Gains will come you just have to be patient. Best of luck!
ChampionRising89
STARTING OUT

Post by ChampionRising89 »

You can get protein from animal sources without problems. I'd say that protein shakes are only helpful if you have problems getting enough protein during the day (ex: your life rhythm is too busy to plan all of your meals properly) or when you don't really want to eat a full meal yet you need to hit your protein target.
Saifullah
STARTING OUT

Post by Saifullah »

I am not an advocate nor a big fan of protein shakes but from personal experience says that yes it helps in weight lifting. You muscle picks power which helps in lifting up more weights. question to every body who say that you should only take natural diet is that how many protein macros are there in a single scoop of protein powder? The answer is nearly 150 grams and by eating 1 egg white you can only get 12 grams of protein. So one should eat 12 eggs per day to match the single scoop of whey. Protein is essential for muscle building and by eating proteins you can easily build muscles and life more.
rawpersonaltraining
STARTING OUT

Post by rawpersonaltraining »

Protein helps in repairing and rebuilding your muscles after exercise. Many people use them after their workouts to aid this process. However, it doesn’t matter whether you drink a protein shake before or after your workout, it is your total daily protein intake that matters most. So make sure you are getting enough of them throughout the day. The most common of them are whey, casein, egg, soy, rice and pea protein.