How Much Weight Gain is Healthy?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

LovesAvocados
STARTING OUT

How Much Weight Gain is Healthy?

Post by LovesAvocados »

Hi! I just started exercising in March, and I would love to plug in to a community like this. Exercising has quickly become an important part of life. I started because I wanted to feel stronger and healthier after an autoimmune disease diagnosis. I wasn't overweight when I started, but I've always hovered toward the top of what's considered a healthy BMI for height. I'm short and a little on the stocky side. After almost daily exercise (alternating between cardio and strength), I really love the energy increase I feel and, even though it wasn't goal, I'm happy with the changes in body. I'm a little bulkier, but I look stronger.

But I'm now just a couple pounds from being "overweight." I know BMI isn't perfect, but after watching parents battle weight-related health problems entire life, I'm getting nervous. I think it's mostly muscle since I haven't changed the way I eat, and I can see more muscle, but how do I know it's healthy? I know that weight gain isn't always unhealthy. But how much weight is it ok to gain after you start strength training if you're starting from a healthy weight? Thanks so much to anyone who has any insight for me here. I'm looking forward to exploring this site and learning more about working out.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How Much Weight Gain is Healthy?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi LovesAvocados, good to talk to you.

If you had a flexible tape measure than you could measure areas such as the biceps, quads and in particular the waist, because if the waist was not really becoming wider over time, then the majority of weight gained would be added muscle.

Have you adjusted your calories up in any way to try and stimulate some muscle building, because if you have then you may have increased your salt intake and that could cause some added water retention.
LovesAvocados
STARTING OUT

Post by LovesAvocados »

Thanks so much! That's a great idea! Since initial goal wasn't to change the way I looked, I didn't think to measure waist or anything else, so I don't know where I started. At least I can take a waist measurement now and keep track of it if I gain any more weight. And you've reminded me that all clothes still fit, and the couple of times I've been this weight in the past, I've gone up a pants size because of waist. (But the other times I was this weight were the beginning of pregnancy and right after having a baby, so I don't know if that's a fair comparison!)

And I'm remembering that I did measure arms for an arm band for running (which I alternate with strength training). I just took another measurement, and I think I've gained a little over a half inch around upper arms. That doesn't seem like much, but maybe I can assume there's a little more weight there.

I haven't changed calories at all. Since I didn't go into this trying to build muscle, it didn't really occur to me to change diet. But thanks-that's something to keep in mind. I was reading that you can also retain water when you're a little dehydrated, so I've been trying to drink more the last few days.

Thanks for these ideas. Knowing that clothing size hasn't changed and that arms are a little bigger has given me some reassurance that this weight gain may not be for the wrong reasons, but I'm going to keep an eye on that waist measurement now!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Added muscle is healthy for females, so do not worry about having it or indeed getting a little more, you'll be fine, as long as your technique is always good and the frequency of workouts are not too much you'll be fine and you won't be overdoing it.
Jaryprest
STARTING OUT

Post by Jaryprest »

Hello,

I would agree with boss. Waist measurement is a very good method to keep an eye on fat gain. I would also add that a hip measurement would also be a good way to keep an eye on whether you are putting on too much fat. If you really wanted to get precise calipers would be a better option.

You can find a good pair on amazon. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G7YW74/re ... iBbYFPG8M1. Finding your body fat percentage will be able to tell you way more about whether you are at a healthy weight or not opposed to the bmi. The calipers have a small margin of error and are super easy to use. Hope this helps

Jake.
rawpersonaltraining
STARTING OUT

Post by rawpersonaltraining »

Weight that allows you to be dynamic enough for your day to day activities is okay. I mean you should have enough energy throughout the day. Since weight gain is one of the most common problems people have, you can read this article to keep a check on it.