Muscle stress without movement

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bgq
STARTING OUT

Muscle stress without movement

Post by bgq »

Hi,

Is it possible to build strength by stressing the muscles without movement? Is it efficient?

I mean for example if you I hold dumbbells (really heavy dumbbells that are difficult to curl) without curling, the biceps will be under stress. Would the biceps become stronger by just this holding?

The point of question is that some argue that doing Farmers Walk alone with heavy weights would be a full body workout because all the body muscles will be under stress. Is this true?

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Muscle stress without movement

Post by Boss Man »

Well for sure the tension on the muscles would have some effect, but in all honesty I eel actually targeting the muscles with exercises that use curling, twisting, pushing, pulling, pressing and rowing motions would be best as tension alone may not do enough to stimulate adequate development of soft and hard tissues.

Farmers walks are perfectly fine for building up stamina and potentially lower body strength as well as potentially the core, but I personally don't think they should be considered something close to some kind of ultimate all-rounder.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

This is a very satisfying answer. Thanks a lot.
andywest
STARTING OUT

Post by andywest »

Yes, I used to use this a lot while travelling.

Do a search for "isometric exercises". A friend put me onto them - they have been used by soldiers for hundreds of years and can still help you to grow.
rawpersonaltraining
STARTING OUT

Post by rawpersonaltraining »

The ability to stress muscles without movement also depends upon a structural balance among supporting muscles. I suggest you take help of a professional Personal Trainer who is well aware of the technicalities involved within it.