Newbie!!!! Help!!!!!

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Matt1983
STARTING OUT

Newbie!!!! Help!!!!!

Post by Matt1983 »

Hi all I’m totally new to this so please your advice would be much appreciated

I’m recovering from gallbladder surgery, and am aloud to start attending the gym in next 4 weeks, I’m 36 years old, 5ft 9in and I’ve gone from 158lbs to 140lbs in last 8 months due to illness, and down to 18% body fat, I want to start weight training with a goal to get to a lean 150-155lb

I’ve confused myself greatly with looking at protein
intake, I’ve been thinking of 2 or 3 shakes a day with water or milk? An rest to be made up with diet, is this way the way to go? As I haven’t Weight trained before I’m gonna hire a PT with monthly reviews, also should I be doing any cardio or just weight training?

Many thanks in advance
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Newbie!!!! Help!!!!!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Matt, good to talk to you.

Personally I would avoid protein shakes for now as I don't you 'd need them.

As for cardio, you could 20-30 minutes 2-3x a week if you wanted to, but I don't think that is too important.
rokit
STARTING OUT

Post by rokit »

it seems to me better not to bother yourself even for the first two months .. and then you never know what.
andywest
STARTING OUT

Post by andywest »

I'm with Boss Man here Matt, I bet you have plenty of protein in your diet already, so you most likely don't need to supplement that.

In general however, it's possible that your overall calories have dropped due to your sickness/time feeling unwell. As you begin to train it's most likely that your appetite will pick up again and your body will crave everything you need.

Hope that helps you!
Mtech.stud
STARTING OUT

Post by Mtech.stud »

Hello Matt,

The RDA intake for protein is "1.3-1.5 g per kg of bodyweight for nonvegetarian athletes. 0.8 g per kg for sedentary adults" (Nutrition, 2016).
According to the "ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription", the "optimal Ex Rx should address cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular strength, endurance, etc." (ACSM, 2018). Also recommending loading exercises (weight-bearing and resistance) for maintaining bone health. Frequency is addressed as "3-5 days a week of moderate and vigorous-intensity exercise" (ACSM, 2018).

This will help reap the optimal benefits of a well-rounded exercise regiment! I hope this helps!

References:

(2018).]ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescritption. Philidelphia, PA. Wolters Kluwer Health
Manroe, M., Thompson, J. (2016). Nutrition For Life. Pearson Education Inc.