Weightlifting Shoes - Are they worth the cost?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

JaneyJ
STARTING OUT

Weightlifting Shoes - Are they worth the cost?

Post by JaneyJ »

Hi All,

I've been training for a while now and one thing that keeps crossing mind is whether some proper weightlifting shoes will improve squats and deadlift. I've never used a pair before so would like to get some advice before splashing out $100 - $200 on a good pair.

Has anyone used a set and if so, how much improvement to your lifts? Could you lift more? Did you feel safer?

How comfortable are they to wear normally around the gym?

Thanks in advance :thumb:
JaneyJ
STARTING OUT

Re: Weightlifting Shoes - Are they worth the cost?

Post by JaneyJ »

Well, I've been looking at more cost-effective shoes and apparently, Converse All-Stars are a pretty good middle ground. They're good for squats and other exercises because of their flat sole that has little cushioning so you feel more planted. They're cheaper and can be worn as normal sneakers too. Something for me to think about...
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Janey :).

That kind of footwear is a good compromise for people who do not necessarily want to use specific weightlifting shoes rather than trainers / training shoes. I personally have never used actual weightlifting shoes, as I just wear trainers I:E nike, asics etc, but the kind of footwear you're talking about certainly has been used by people before for the purpose(s), you're referring to.
JaneyJ
STARTING OUT

Post by JaneyJ »

Hey Boss Man,

Thanks for your reply. Well, in the end, I actually managed to get a pair :clap:

I did a lot of (probably too much) research and after seeing loads of rave reviews for the Adidas Adipower shoes (like this https://powerliftingbelts.org/best-weightlifting-shoes/) I was set on getting a pair of those. It turns out that friend was actually selling a pair and she's the same size feet as me too! So I actually got some for pretty cheap. What a funny turn of events!

So I will post an update after I've used them a couple of times to let others know if they are actually worth the cost (and research) :D