Shoulder Press

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

eviltapanga
STARTING OUT

Shoulder Press

Post by eviltapanga »

Hi!

I heard doing shoulder press' can result in a large muscle at the front of your shoulder.

I was wondering what other exercise can be used to counter this build up by creating muscle on the other shoulder areas?

Thanks,

evilT
Bigboi118
HIGH FLYER

Post by Bigboi118 »

There are three parts to the deltoid (or 'shoulder' muscle) the lateral, anterior and posterior.

Shoulder presses mainly build up the front and middle of the the deltoid, u could add in rear deltoid raises/Bent-over laterals to work that part of the delt, look up these exercises on youtube, your rear delt is only a small muscle so the weight wont be alot, working the rear delt helps with shoulder stabilisation
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Dips put a big emphasis on the anterior delts and bench presses also do the same.

It is your posterior delts that ordinarily get neglected. (They're hard to see and if you don't see 'em why work 'em, is the notion.)

You need to work your posterior delts and rhomboids vigorously or you will get "weight lifters slouch". That "slouch" happens when your anterior shoulders and pecs are worked hard and draw the shoulders forward. Lacking a balancing muscle strength of the anterior delts and especially the rhomboids you get this imbalance and you end up with the slouch.

Bent over DB side laterals are effective. Also full contraction seated rows (cable machine) will work this area too. Do both. With the seated rows (narrow grip) you need to pull all the way so that you have your elbows pass your torso with each rep.

If you don't have access to a seated cable machine, then do the rows with an EZ curl bar using a close grip.
teppum42
STARTING OUT

Post by teppum42 »

I've seen people doing cables with the "V-bar" - is that the narrow grip you mention? Also, I've see this bar in the shape of a "U" that people use for cable rows (http://www.inspirefitnesssolutions.co.u ... handle.jpg) here's a picture- they call it a Revolving Cable Row or Lat Pull Down Bar Handle. But I feel like arms are way out from body when I use that.

Then I also see people use the individual handles for cable rows- where there are two cables and they put a handle on each one.

Is there a preference, or how do those different handles work different muscles during the cable row?

Thanks!
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

The two cable arrangement never felt good to me, but it would work OK if you draw both arms back fully.

The close grip bar (your link does not work) is the type I use and if you work for a full range of motion it will work the lats and the rhomboids and some of the posterior delts.

A good strong set of rhomboids is especially useful. It squares up the shoulders and improves the posture. It makes women's chests seem larger (without the implant surgery) and give you a prouder carriage. You should do at least one set of back work for each set of chest work to maintain balance.

http://www.inspirefitnesssolutions.co.u ... ip%29.html
beachdog
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by beachdog »

Some good answers already posted but if you only wish to do one exercise for the delts, then I have found this to be the most all round powerful;

Sit on the very end of a low bench using a pair of dumbbells.
Bend forward and do lateral raises - the dumbells starting position is under your thighs and behind your legs. Chest down almost on your thighs. Lift the dumbbells upwards and outwards (with slightly bent elbow) as far as you can. Your upper body will raise as you perform this movement. That's one rep. Complete eight to ten each set, increasing the weight for each of three sets. Go to absolute failure on the final set.
(but don't have a cardiac arrest, 'cos we need you)

This will hit the anterior and medial heads of the deltoids really hard, and to a lesser extent the rear deltoid, which is a hard muscle segment to target.

Packard makes a good point about avoiding exercises that mainly hit the anterior delt. I have actually seen a lifter who did too many shoulder presses and although still young, was walking around badly stooped forward with huge anterior delts. OMG
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

best anterior exercise - single arm push presses

best medial exercise - high pull

best posterior exercise - pull ups

http://www.uponlinetraining.com/services.html
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:
..best posterior exercise - pull ups

http://www.uponlinetraining.com/services.html
??? You mean pull ups like on a chinning bar???
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

are there any others?

www.uponlinertraining.com
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:are there any others?

www.uponlinertraining.com
How do pull-ups work the posterior deltoids? Chins do to some extent, but I don't thing pull-ups involve the posterior delts much. Unless you were referring to the rhomboid work. And the rhomboids would be worked doing pull-ups.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, you could do pull ups, by using a Chin Bar, and pulling your self up, until the Bar was behing your neck. It is quite good for things like Rear Delt, Biceps and Traps work, but not so good potentially for things like Rotator Cuff.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Boss Man wrote:Yes, you could do pull ups, by using a Chin Bar, and pulling your self up, until the Bar was behind your neck. It is quite good for things like Rear Delt, Biceps and Traps work, but not so good potentially for things like Rotator Cuff.
Yes, I can see that.

Years ago I switched from behind the neck pull ups to behind the neck pull downs on the cable machine. I don't do those anymore.

One day while doing the behind the neck pull downs, the cable snapped and I yanked the bar down onto spine with about 180 pounds of pressure. I had a hairline fracture of the spine which did not require surgery, but did require rest. I could not drive a car for a week (I could not turn head); I did not workout for 2 months while this healed.

Nowadays I do the pull downs to the front of chest. I also inspect the cable before each set to make sure that there is no obvious signs of wear.

I'd like to take this opportunity to tell the members here to do the same: Inspect the cables for wear before each set. If it shows signs of wear, do not use it until the repairs have been made.

Anyone can learn from their own mistakes; a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

not sure how rhomboids can be worked and the post delts not, they basically retract the same...

if doing them properly then your elbows donlt come past the mid line of the body which means you are actually pulling your shoulder blades back in an isometric type fashion

unfortunatley 90% of of us don't do them that way

www.uponlinetraining.com
lens_d
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by lens_d »

So do you guys recommend doing some sort of behind the neck pull up or pull down in your routine then? I hate the feeling and find it uncomfortable. When I started I use to do behind the neck pull downs but quit because I never knew there was any real benefit and power decreases quit substantially.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

no and no