Stretching and flexbility

The place to suggest new features, or report problems with existing ones.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ratmonkey
STARTING OUT

Stretching and flexbility

Post by ratmonkey »

I would like to offer up a suggestion that we have a section on this site for stretching,flexibility and warm-ups. I have heard many different theories regarding this subject and would be interested in hearing others' routines, philosophy and opinions.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: Stretching and flexbility

Post by ultimatehlth »

Sounds like a good idea to me too. Foam rolling and active movement before exercise, static stretching and active and passive PNF after.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Interesting thought.

I am not aware of that many warm-up / stretching mentalities, but if there are numerous theories as opposed to a few, then the level of discussion could be prolonged, rather than limited to say 3 topics a year or something pointless, as new sections with weak levels of content, could be offputting to potential new members, in terms of how the sites activity levels are perceived.

This is one to bear in mind and maybe in the near future, I'll assess further input on this idea and pass it onto Admin.

Right now I think the strength of feeling about this move, isn't sufficient enough, as I'm concerned about what would happen, if it was not getting enough discussion; for reasons already stated.

Nice idea though and welcomed :).
cherubino7
STARTING OUT

Post by cherubino7 »

I agree with you rat monkey, as flexibility is also a huge part of fitness. A person may look good, but I would never consider them healthy if they had no flexibility. This is a commonly overlooked portion of fitness, and now is the best time to start the conversation about it. There may not be many schools of thought, but this is definitely an area worthy of discussion.

I also agree with you Boss Man, it is not a popular topic, but one that is very necessary for a comprehensive fitness forum.

Just opinion. :D
DLPK
STARTING OUT

Post by DLPK »

Hi Rat Monkey,
This would really help beginners. I spent yesterday and today planning out a Warm Up so it includes all areas of the body. If that would have been on this site, I could have completed a number of Warm Up Stretching and Flexibility sessions. Thanks for the idea! I hope it is approved.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Warm up routines vary from 1-2 minutes to 20 minutes from what I have observed in years. I am a believer in post stretching rather than pre-stretching.... warm ups can be as easy as 5 minutes on the treadmill on a leg day to a light set of rows on a upper body day. When muscles, tendons and ligaments are fully warmed up and have larger amounts of blood flow is the best time for stretching to prevent damage, thus view of post stretching.... I have also read (in a few places and I cannot recall where) that pre stretching reduces strength capabilities for lifts thus preventing full realization of the muscles' capabilities and decreasing the ability to grow and strengthen. I do not deny the need or benefits to flexibility and stretching but rather say that cold pre stretching is far from as beneficial as post stretching. And if you are warming up just to stretch before you are working out you are wasting time and valuable muscle glycogen and overall strength and energy.

Such is opinion, I am aware they are others.

Cheers
Vamp
Last edited by vamp on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Cold stretching can increase the risk of injuries.