Dark theme

The place to suggest new features, or report problems with existing ones.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

AmberD86
STARTING OUT

Dark theme

Post by AmberD86 »

I'm still playing with browsers but the dark theme I use in Firefox doesn't let me see when I enter text. Since I guess it's fixed set as black. High contrast in Chrome ruins pictures.

I'm one to have limited vision but I don't want the struggle to read and post to turn me away.

I can't be the only person with vision issues. How hard could it be to make a dark theme of the forum? IMHO, which I know would help me and many others, do black back ground. White for main text and various light blues or greens for links. Would this be a good "disability" issue to address? I'd use it more if could see it easier. Vision impaired like to work out too ;)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Dark theme

Post by Boss Man »

I appreciate your concerns Amber I really do.

All I can say is the forum uses a standard default template, but I assume your issue is not with the forum, but with the actual choice of browser if I read things right.
AmberD86
STARTING OUT

Post by AmberD86 »

i just had bf install the right contrasting add on to chrome and the thing about it is, its the template of forum itself. even when i try different contrast modes, it does not have a clear color sceme. there is a gradient to it which is what is making it harder to read. if the background of the forum was a solid color it would be easier. but the gradient distorts the options to get a good solid theme.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There is nothing that can be done about the template I'm afraid, because it's a default PHPBB template, made by them and the only would be install other templates for users to switch between and currently there isn't.

Alternatively the alternative option would be to alter the colour / brightness / contrast settings on your monitor, or if you have windows control panel type software on your PC or mac, for adjusting the gamma; try altering the RBG or the hue, luminocity and / or saturation, which might help.

You can change the text colour of things you post if that helps at all, but I'm thinking it probably wouldn't.

I really hope this does not spoil your enjoyment of using the forums, because I know you of old and I know what a wonderful and charming person you are with very heartfelt expressive and beautiful things to say and any member of your calibre that could be hindered from posting again, would make me feel a little sad for you, because I think you're such a wonderful person :).

The old template was subsilver in PHPBB 2, but that to knowledge was discontinued and this one the prosilver is a default.

It seems like you are able to post in some way, but the suggestions I gave you and the other option of using high contrast via windows accessibility options, which I have on XP but obviously depends on your operating system, are all I can say at this moment in time.

I don't have control over the PHP code on this forum, just features. Any change to coding would have to be done via the programmers, at cost to the other admin, as he doesn't deal with any actually PHPBB / template coding changes.

I wish I could do more to help you, as it's frustrating for me too, but I can only make suggestion I think might help in some way and try best for you Amber, as I want every good member of this site, no matter who they are to able to have a rewarding user experience, because as I am sure you will remember, people like you never stop mattering to me and I want people feel comfortable and happy as much as possible when they post and interact with others.

Maybe one or more things I have suggested might work, but due to limitations regards coding and regards what PHPBB have inbuilt as default settings for the forums, the suggestion given are all I can really offer.

I really hope you can find a way to post, because you were always a fantastic member to have around and I never failed ot be touched by your incredibly beautiful accounts of your difficult life and I hope Shapefit will still be able to provide you with an outlet for your heart, stories and personality, because I for one would be absolutely delighted to have your words and support for others around here again.

Take care and best wishes :).
AmberD86
STARTING OUT

Post by AmberD86 »

Thanks I will try those few alterations on screen. Thankfully the bf is a geek lol so altho I know slightly how to do what you said, he can always nail it on the head with changes.

For right now I will continue to use firefox bc I set it up to view any page in a spacific format. Dark theme, the main draw back is when I want to enter text or see the text on a button I need to press to submit or preview the message. But once its sent it will appear the way I want to see it, white.

I also can see a few words that may be 'bad' if the forum is more strict. I will try to candy coat it as much as I can lol it was not swearing just describing some major events recently that left me to why I need help with things now. Ill try it again soon. Thanks for the advice tho! I do just have to keep it as “normal” looking as possible mainly since im a graphic designer but ill discuss this with david, the bf, and see what he thinks we could rig up to do if needed. So it was just a thought but understandable :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I personally want you to have as much freedom to post as you want, but recent upgrades to spamming protocol have rendered some words inadmissible, but you shouldn't have to candy coat anything if you don't want to, but obviously if needs be, one or two words now and then may have to be altered or changed to agree with new protocols.