Running for Weight Loss

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Running for Weight Loss

Post by fitoverforty »

Great article on Shapefit about running, weight loss, and healthy eating.

http://www.shapefit.com/exercise/runnin ... -loss.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've always heard the saying - "you can't outrun a bad diet"

It's true, you can run miles upon miles, but if you counter act it with increased, unhealthy "rewards" then your just spinning your wheels.
A occasional treat is fine, but learning how to balance out the increased demands on your body, and increased appetite from exercise by making smart healthy choices, is the trick to using running as a weight loss tool.
chunkfit
STARTING OUT

Re: Running for Weight Loss

Post by chunkfit »

I could not agree more with your statement! I hear it from co-workers all the time: "I've been really good this week so I ate <insert unhealthy food here> as a treat to myself."

This kind of mentality will keep people from reaching their weight loss goals which is a bit of a bummer considering they just put in all that effort running. It's kind of funny really, people who run often will have a nice and toned lower body but still complain about losing weight in their stomach. It's all about diet people!

----------------------
Running is always great for cardio but sometimes we need to step it up a notch. A great way to do this is with calf exercises. You can increase your muscular endurance with the right exercises.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Great article. I'm back on the saddle after a long break due to family issues. Amazingly I haven't backslid. I'm at the exact weight I was when I left here last, and for me, that's a victory compared to the past. I've got a month of running workouts before I am able to start boot camp again (they are full right now).

I ran a mile and a half last night in glorious spring weather and it felt so good. I'm starting off with getting distance back up, then I will start incorporating speed and interval work. Hope to be back to 10k distance in May.
jacob11
STARTING OUT

Post by jacob11 »

Running is one of the best exercise for weight loss. I got benefit by running every morning. It loose weight about 5 kg in a month.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Absolutely, running is a great conditioner and calorie burner, but it doesn't mean you can eat what ever you want. Diet is about 70% of weight loss. Even if you just run to maintain you are one injury away from weight gain if you don't get your diet into control now. Start with a 10% reduction in calories, you won't even notice the diet.
Cheers,
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sajidtoor
STARTING OUT

Post by sajidtoor »

Dieting is the practice of eating food in a regulated fashion to decrease, maintain, or increase body weight. Dieting is often used in combination with physical exercise to lose weight in those who are overweight or obese.
MTintin
STARTING OUT

Post by MTintin »

I totally agree with you, Jacob11. Running is absolutely amazing for losing weight.
Btw, congrats on your weight loss! Keep up the good work. :wink: