Tight Hamstrings

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Tight Hamstrings

Post by ArtzyJen »

While I'm dealing with insomnia thanks to too much caffeine, I might as well ask, what are some stretches I can do post-run to deal with EXTREMELY tight hamstrings. One of boot camp instructors said she'd never known anyone with tighter hamstrings. I have extremely flat feet and wear supportive inserts to help correct, but I know I've also corrected stride over the years to compensate and I'm wondering if this might contribute to tighter hamstrings? Not sure. Nonetheless, I don't feel like I can really get a good stretch unless I've got someone to help, but that may be a product of not really knowing a great deal of ways to stretch them out.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Tight Hamstrings

Post by fitoverforty »

Post run hammy stretch:

Lay on the floor on your back, lift one leg up in the air, use a jump rope or band, hook it over your foot right around the forefoot area, then slowly pull downwards towards your chest, keeping leg slightly bent and pushing against the rope. Then slowly pull laterally (left leg toward the right shoulder, right leg toward left shoulder) you should really feel a good stretch in your hamstrings and glutes. then pull towards the outside for each leg.
here is the article the pics go with:
http://www.ericcressey.com/5-reasons-ti ... ngs-strain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had several hamstrings pulls in the last year so I know how important it is to keep the hamstrings stretched. Thorough stretching post run is really important. Sometimes I stop during a run and stretch, using a tree, or a sign post, or a curb, I put foot right up on it (heel on ground, foot raised up on object), and grab the post, or tree and pull forward, or if Its the curb I just lean forward and stretch for about 20 seconds each leg.

Hope this helps. Preventative maintenance is key. :D Trust me, you don't want a hamstring pull. They are the injury that just keeps on giving, and the hamstring never recovers back to its original length or strength. :|
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Thank you! I do stretch religiously post-run, and sometimes during...just couldn't seem to find a decent stretch that would adequately relieve the tension. Hopefully this helps!
watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Post by watkinsc »

Try stretching your glutes as well, whilst you are sitting in your chair at work, cross one leg so the ankle is resting on your opposite thigh, then lean forward. Overall flexibility should help loosen your hamstrings so dont neglect your quads, calves, lower back etc.