Adding training runs in on top of Insanity

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Adding training runs in on top of Insanity

Post by ArtzyJen »

I'm currently doing Insanity but I'm wanting to aim for a St. Patrick's Day 5k. (I've done many 5ks before- this will be 9th? I think). If I'm going to run it comfortably, I need to get mileage up a bit. Think it's safe to squeeze in 4 training runs a week on top of Insanity? Should I adjust calorie goals too? I'm on 1800 calories/day right now. With the training runs I'm guessing I'd be netting about 1200 cals/day.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Adding training runs in on top of Insanity

Post by Boss Man »

1,800 calories is a sedentary average for females, so not bad, but if you're considering it to be a bit low try this.

If you eat 6 meals a day, add another 300 calories a day on training days, making it up to 50 calories more per meal.

The use either of these options per meal.

1. 5g protein, 5g Carbs, 1g Fat, (49 calories).

2. 5g Carbs, 3-4g Fat, (47-56 calories).

If you think you need more protein, try option 1. You should never need more than 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and 1.2g is very adequate anyway.

If you feel you're getting enough protein, use option 2 instead.

on non trainign days you would stick ot the 1,800 as per normal.

If you're happy with the 1,800 in general then obviously leave thigns as is.

In the context of the added running, it might be too much but then again it might be okay. It's your body afterall, so I can't tell you how it would respond, or provide links to or quotes from common denominator studies, or anything like that, so the best way to judge is a suck it and see situation, where you do it for 2-4 weeks and assess things like fatigue levels, sleep patterns and whether exercise levels you are able to cope with, start to become significantly harder, a real struggle or you simply cannot do them anymore, which would be evidence of overtraining, (going stale).

Your options then would be to cut back the running you added in, to little or no added running, or keep the added running in the grand scheme of things, but schedule 4-7 days of enforced no training of any kind, to try and get over the staleness, then schedule that no training period in, every 4-6 weeks, to head off potential overtraining before it happened again, so you could keep the running in but try to prevent it causing staleness again in the future.

Hopefully that all makes sense :).
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Ok. Thanks! It all makes sense. I don't know what it is, but when I work out hard, it just makes me want to work out even more. I find myself energized and ready to go just a couple of hours after doing a hard workout. I'm thinking since I'm doing tons of interval training with insanity that running would actually be a nice, steady level of exercise that would help me push through and enhance muscle tone/endurance/weight loss... and having another 5k under belt is never a bad thing. :D So far 1800 cals seems to be holding me. I will do as you suggested if I start finding I need the extra energy.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

ArtzyJen wrote:I don't know what it is, but when I work out hard, it just makes me want to work out even more. I find myself energized and ready to go just a couple of hours after doing a hard workout.
It's the endorphins. :D I feel that way often, especially after an evening workout.
I think you could add training runs in with your insanity workouts. Maybe 3 a week to start, every other day and keep them at a medium intensity level, since you are getting plenty of that from the insanity cardio. I wouldn't do a run after the insanity workout (even tho you feel like it :wink: ), I would a morning/evening type 2 a day workout, or on your off days. No sense trying to run on worn out legs and risk injury. And you want those runs to be productive for building endurance.
You are doing great! I really want to do the Insanity/p90x circuit. Good luck on your continued success! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Ultimately keep taking each day at a time and as far as modifiying the training and or caloric intake goes, you're smart enough to assess how things are going and if you make changes, how they are working out, so you'll make the right calls and if changes need reversing, when they don't yield the outcome(s) you hoped for, you'll be on top of that I'm sure.

You're doing brilliantly and you really are getting more beautiful, healthy and radient by the week misses.

WELL DONE, keep on pushing and keep believing, because you ARE worth it :).