Motivation and advices for beginner

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Winthers
STARTING OUT

Motivation and advices for beginner

Post by Winthers »

Hello all,

I guess you could say, Im a beginner when it comes to running. I wanted to tell story, and hopefully get some motivation and advices.

I started having anxiety issues in spring 2013, which lead to skipped heartbeats and eventually I had a breakdown from stress in october 2013. The doctors checked from A to B, and I was sendt home with a clean physical checkup. The perscription was to start exercising. At that time weight was at 122kgs (268pounds).

I decided to start running 2 times a week outside in the forests (where noone could see me :) and upped it to 3 times a week. I clearly remember first excersice - I ran 400meters, and had to start walking.

As the months went by, I slowly progressed to 5k without walking at all - which Im pretty proud of, even though it sounds hillarious to some people. I still suffer from the anciety, that really kicks in, when I get a skipped heartbeat. I hate it soo badly.

Ive now been running for almost a year. weight is down to 108kgs (238 pounds) and I do a 5k in 40 mins.

I feel absolutly exhaused after the 5k - but hopefully time will go down eventually. I kinda feel that its a good pace to be running in, but Ive seen others with way better time than that. I know that alot of people advice to do interval training to run faster, but anxiety is really against me on that one. Im basicly so afraid of skipped beats and cant wrap head around, that its not dangerous and heart wont stop beating, even though cardiac-doc cleared me.

Does anyone recognize anything from story and how do you guys keep motivation up?

Winthers
Alinshop
REGULAR

Re: Motivation and advices for beginner

Post by Alinshop »

Hello. I hate that you are suffering from aniexty, as I myself suffered from it years ago and understand how awful it is. Have you tried any alternative things such as yoga, acupuncture, etc...
Winthers
STARTING OUT

Post by Winthers »

I havent tried alternative methods. So far Im sticking with excercise and trying to be calm and relax. But sometimes.... MAN I just hate it.

Just need to keep the motivation up, which is so much easier said than done.
Everett
STARTING OUT

Post by Everett »

If you're still bothered by anxiety then I recommend that you increase your intake of Vitamin B12. There are two variants of B12 -- one is cyanocobalamin and the other is methylcobalamin. Take the methylcobalamin variant and insure that it's a sublingual lozenge (one that dissolves under your tongue) because it absorbs better.

There are studies and research papers out there that have conclusively shown the co-relation between a lack of Vitamin B (the whole range from B1 to B12) and elevated stress, anxiety and panic levels. Think of B-vitamins as natural neuro relaxants.

I myself take a combo of Tyrosine + Vitamin B6 or sublingual B12 before workouts. This is in addition to dietary protein.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Everett wrote:If you're still bothered by anxiety then I recommend that you increase your intake of Vitamin B12. There are two variants of B12 -- one is cyanocobalamin and the other is methylcobalamin. Take the methylcobalamin variant and insure that it's a sublingual lozenge (one that dissolves under your tongue) because it absorbs better.

There are studies and research papers out there that have conclusively shown the co-relatiting on between a lack of Vitamin B (the whole range from B1 to B12) and elevated stress, anxiety and panic levels. Think of B-vitamins as natural neuro relaxants.

I myself take a combo of Tyrosine + Vitamin B6 or sublingual B12 before workouts. This is in addition to dietary protein.

Sounds like an interesting article. Do you have the link?
Megan29
STARTING OUT

Post by Megan29 »

Hi there, i am running The Perkins Great Eastern Run this year. I posted a thread not so long ago about it. It will be first Half Marathon after losing weight myself so i am kind of in the same situation so i guess the only advice i can give is to keep on going, have you heard the saying 'nothing looks as good as fit feels'? Well for me this is true and it is motivation to keep going :-)
rvn2590@yahoo.com
STARTING OUT

Post by rvn2590@yahoo.com »

Sounds like you are doing just fine making lots of progress! Keep it up!
fitonion
STARTING OUT

Post by fitonion »

keeping your shirts that won't fit you anymore helps