Half Marathon

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Megan29
STARTING OUT

Half Marathon

Post by Megan29 »

I am running first half marathon this year. I will be taking part in the Perkins Great Eastern Run on October 11th after losing weight over the last couple of years. I am quite nervous although I have been training and they also offer free training sessions which I will be taking part in.I wondered if anyone else has ever done this race and how did you find it? Ans what was your first half marathon like? Thank you
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Half Marathon

Post by Fitafter50 »

Congratulations, Megan--you are in for some Big Fun! I haven't run that particular race, but I've done several half-marathons, a few fulls, and even some 50Ks, along with quite a few shorter races. Out of all the distances I've done, I like the half best--it's far enough to be challenging, but not so far as to kill you! :tongue: Being nervous is natural, but as long as you do the training, it's almost a sure thing that you'll enjoy the race itself. You have plenty of time to get ready, so follow your plan and listen to your body. You may need a little extra sleep as you start doing longer runs, and you'll want to be sure to rest on your training program's rest days; recovery time is important to prevent injury. I'll be looking forward to hearing your race report! :D
Megan29
STARTING OUT

Post by Megan29 »

Thank you for your reply, this has been very helpful. I am certainly looking forward to running PGER this year and it's great to get advice from other people. I think it will go well and hopefully it will be the start of many!
lockheart.1989
STARTING OUT

Post by lockheart.1989 »

Megan29 wrote:I am running first half marathon this year. I will be taking part in the Perkins Great Eastern Run on October 11th after losing weight over the last couple of years. I am quite nervous although I have been training and they also offer free training sessions which I will be taking part in.I wondered if anyone else has ever done this race and how did you find it? Ans what was your first half marathon like? Thank you
Hi Megan!

I completely agree with @Fitafter50, the half marathon is the one I enjoy the most :) I've the full marathon once and it literally killed me. It was a great experience and I'd wanted to push myself to that limit, but personally I'd stick to those 21k. The first one I did was in Barcelona, and I'd love it as it's also a way yo enjoy the city, specially if you don't know it.

Were you used to run long distances? I was merely used to 10k runs, but after some intense cardio in the gym (body combat classes for example) and a couple of 15-20k runs to practice, I think I was quite ready for it. The motivation during the day of the "competition" does help you a lot to give you the extra push you need to cross thatr finish line with a smile.

By now you should have probably done the run, so let us know how it went!

xx
Tifa
rvn2590@yahoo.com
STARTING OUT

Post by rvn2590@yahoo.com »

I have run a few half marathons but not recently. It is all about putting in the work in your training. If you have been serious about your preparation through your regular runs you will be just fine!
BT_Nolan
STARTING OUT

Post by BT_Nolan »

I hope it works out for you.