Running clothes

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jens3n
STARTING OUT

Running clothes

Post by jens3n »

It's starting to get cold now so running isn't as pleasant as before... :(

I can't really go running in a t-thirt anymore because I would freeze but then again after 10 minutes or so I will be boiling. What do you gyus do? I currently wear a hoodie, and its 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I've heard that combination textiles are best for sports...?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Running clothes

Post by Boss Man »

HI Jens3n, good to speak to you.

Not speaking from personal experience here, but one thing you could try is a t-shirt then you have one of those long sleeve t-shirts that goes down to the wrists underneath.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

I like to wear light layers when I run. If you wear a long-sleeved tech shirt with a windbreaker over it, you could tie the jacket around your waist after you heat up, and then have it handy to put back on for your cool-down. A light fleece hat might help, too. Everybody's different, but I actually prefer to run in the cooler weather. As long as you dress properly for it, temps around 20 degrees F can be great running weather. When it gets below 0, or there's a strong windchill factor, it might be best to hit the treadmill instead, but getting out in the fresh air to run on a crisp winter day can be awesome. :)
jens3n
STARTING OUT

Post by jens3n »

Yep I don't mind running in colder weather either, after the first five - ten minutes, but before that I'm always freezing. I've got a long sleeved t-shirt as well, its 100 % cotton so might be better? Its just hard to wash as its printed with text and you cant wash it in high temperatures.
In order to preserve the high textile and print quality of our printed long-sleeved shirts, they should be machine-washed at a maximum temperature of 40°C. They cannot be bleached or dried in a clothes dryer. Warm ironing, on the other hand, is fine, as is cleaning with tetrachloroethylene (chemical cleaning).

:(
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

I prefer wicking fabrics to cotton for running, so I'd save the t-shirt for casual wear and pick up a tech shirt for running. But if you don't sweat much, the cotton is probably fine. After all, people ran in cotton for a long time before the new tech fabrics came out. It's just a personal preference.
jens3n
STARTING OUT

Post by jens3n »

After all, people ran in cotton for a long time before the new tech fabrics came out.
Good point :)