Need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 19.10 minutes in less than a week.

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

NinjaWorldWar
STARTING OUT

Need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 19.10 minutes in less than a week.

Post by NinjaWorldWar »

I tried today and made it about halfway through in about 8:32 seconds. I ran out of time on attempt since I had to get ready for work. I am not going to lie it about killed me, legs are sore, and I was breathing very heavily. I am not sure I will be able to do it, but does anyone have any tips on how to build running endurance up quickly and any ideas on a good training program to give me best shot to be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 19 minutes in 10 days?

Thanks,

Ninja.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 19.10 minutes in less than a week.

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ninja, good to speak to you.

Why do you need this target in 10 days, because in reality you cannot get much improvement in that sort of time frame, you'd need to be looking at around 6 weeks minimum I would suggest.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 19.10 minutes in less than a week.

Post by Fitafter50 »

Boss is right--it takes time to build speed, stamina, endurance, etc. The good news is that if you did .75 mile in 8 min. , 30 sec., you should be able to do the 1.5 in 19 minutes. You might have to slow down a bit to start and pace yourself so you can finish the whole distance, instead of trying to run full out right out of the box, which as you've discovered leads to burning thighs and gasping breath. In your topic line, you say less than a week, but in the post it says 10 days, so I don't know how much time you have to prepare, but I'd suggest you go out tomorrow and run for 20 min. at a comfortable pace and see how far you can get. Then you can experiment with different paces to see what works best for you. Good luck!