Ankle pain

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

susan_1981
STARTING OUT

Ankle pain

Post by susan_1981 »

Hi

I'm 34 and have just started running. I used to run about 10-15 years ago but I just hated it so stopped - plus I was rubbish and could barely run a mile. No idea why, I'd say I was way fitter then than I am now as I used to go to the gym a lot back then. Up until the past couple of weeks, I barely did any exercise.

I started running 2 weeks ago. The first day I managed to do 2.7 miles. The third time I ran, I nearly cleared 8 miles! In the past 2 weeks, I've probably ran well over 40 miles and I'm really enjoying it but I'm now having ankle pain.

After a couple of minutes running, the pain goes, it generally just hurts at the beginning but then hurts again once I've finished. left ankle is worse than right. The pain is on the outer side of ankle, just below ankle bone. Any idea what could be causing this? I always start off at a very slow pace to warm up and do stretches after. I've been wondering if maybe it's trainers (they are running trainers but cheap ones, about £30) but they do feel really comfortable and when I'm running, I don't feel any major impact to ankles or feet. Then I was wondering if maybe it's just body getting used to running as I'm running on concrete but the other thing I'm thinking is that it's an injury from going from doing no exercise at all to running over 40 miles in the space of 2 weeks. I really, really, really don't want to stop running as I'm really enjoying it. So just wondering if anyone has any advice?

I'm not overweight, I'm 5ft 2 and weigh about 8 stone.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Ankle pain

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Susan, good to talk to you.

There are considerations to take if you're going to run.

1. Do you pronate; ankle rolls inwards; supinate; ankle rolls outwards; or do you have a neutral running style?

2. Do you heel strike causing a risk of shin splints?

3. Have you an existing injury to both ankles in the past for some other reason?

4. When you run do you put emphasis on the outer, (lateral), side of the feet?

You might find that using cross training shoes is beneficial, if you're not using any already and you may want to consider orthotics possibly and see how they work out for you.

The assertion about running on concrete might be valid and maybe you might want to find a grassy area and experiment with that, to see if the softer surface changes the effects you feel and you could also try speed walking and see whether the effect of doing that on concrete, encourages the sensations you are referring to or not.
susan_1981
STARTING OUT

Post by susan_1981 »

I don't feel like I roll ankles nor put pressure to one side of ankle but perhaps I do. I've never paid too much attention. No previous injuries. I'm not using orthotics although I did used to have some so I'll have to see if I can dig them out. I was wondering if an ankle brace/support would help me?

I looked at ankle and it actually looks bruised. Not badly but in certain lights, I can see the tell tale blue tinge. Just below ankle bone. I'm guessing I need to rest this up before running again? I hate not being able to run, it makes me feel almost guilty!
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Running on concrete is really hard on your joints, so if you have any alternatives, I would try to get away from that. Even black top is much gentler on your joints.

One other factor is how fast you ramped up from 2 to 8 miles--I can understand how easy it is to get a little carried away by the joy of running, but most experts will recommend increasing your mileage no more than 10% per week to prevent injury.

I would wait to run again till you are pain-free (and yes, I know it stinks--I'm currently resting some shin pain and anxious to start training for a half-marathon--but you can do other things like strength training and yoga while you wait) and then build your mileage more circumspectly. Good luck!
susan_1981
STARTING OUT

Post by susan_1981 »

Thanks, I've been doing some pilates to try and keep me going. I think what I'm actually running on is tarmac. I could run on the grass but it's so muddy at the moment, I'd probably end up creating another injury from slipping!

I haven't run since Sunday and I think I'll lay off until Monday and have another go. I do think that the injury is because I've just done too much too quick. The first week I went running, I went Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (I work Thursdays and Fridays, so aside from the weekends, it's the only time I get to run). On the Monday, I ran 2.7 miles and I felt absolutely fantastic after that, the Tuesday I ran about 5 miles and the Wednesday I ran 7.8 miles so quite a leap but I felt so knackered all day after the runs on the Tuesday and Wednesday.

I also had a look at trainers to see if there is more wear on one side of the trainer than the other but I can't see anything noticeable, but then I've only run about 50 miles in them so I can't actually see any wear on them yet.