if you get fast do you stay fast?

The ideal place to discuss running or ways to start. Anything from clothing, equipment, technique and race meets goes.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

hagane
STARTING OUT

if you get fast do you stay fast?

Post by hagane »

I almost did a 5 minute mile once but then I quit running for several years. now I'm over 200 lbs so I can't test if I'm still fit aside from the weight. If I lose the weight and go back to 130, will I probably be able to run a five minute mile or around that. I hope so that's goal that gets me working out everyday now
hagane
STARTING OUT

Re: if you get fast do you stay fast?

Post by hagane »

I tried jogging at 220lbs but I can only go 4 miles per hour without getting winded. but on the low impact weird running machines, I don't know what they're called, I can go fast. So I 'run' on those machines to not hurt joints, I hurt knees for a couple of weeks doing high knee exercises or maybe it was the jogging on the tread mill. it didn't hurt while I was exercising but then they got bad and then they got better.
hagane
STARTING OUT

Post by hagane »

I will try jogging again at 4 miles an hour and see if knees are fine. It feels like I'm jogging with yoda on back when I am on the treadmill. but I am a big fan of jogging regular and not on the running machines that lift your feet for you. they're not bad though it's still fun to try and go fast on those and I know they're important machines.
hagane
STARTING OUT

Post by hagane »

has anyone run the four minute mile in their thirties? I worked up to close to the five minute mile just by jogging I hardly ever ran faster than 12 miles per hour. I just would jog and speed up when I felt energized. I think most joggers could run a 5 minute mile if they jog a lot. so if I run a five minute mile then I could jog a five minute mile every other day till I do 2 five minute miles back to back. maybe that's how to work up to a four minute mile is by consecutive 5 minute miles