loosing weight with an injury

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

whiterm
STARTING OUT

loosing weight with an injury

Post by whiterm »

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new here but if I ever needed to ask advice now is the time!
I severely sprained ankle last night so it looks like I'm going to be out of action for a few weeks. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to continue loosing weight while being limited. Any sort of exercises I could try or simply any advice would be really helpful. Or if you think I should just get over myself and focus of trying to heal. I've lost 18 pounds though so I really want to continue being successful despite this setback. I'm trying not to get down about it!
whiterm
STARTING OUT

Re: loosing weight with an injury

Post by whiterm »

should I eat less than usual then? like get more protein in diet or any other changes to help the healing process?
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, that's really impressive. 4 months ago I broke two ribs on left side, and then when that healed I celebrated with a hike where I obtained a stress fracture in right foot. I have gained 18 pounds in 4 months from the inactivity, and I'm sure it's because I didn't make adjustments to diet.

I think paying attention to calories is important, especially if you are going from being active to sedentary. I would advise anyone who is injured to use the nutrition tracker, and if you can do crunches, modified push-ups, or some swimming, that might help you feel stronger while your body is healing. I just started swimming and it's going alright so far. Take care!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Things in the Diet that can affect injury recovery include Arginine and Zinc and possibly Glutamine and Vitamin C, as those last two can boost immune function. Arginine helps on two counts because it helps produce Nitric Oxide a vasodilator, so more dilated blood pathways will allow healing substances in the bloodstream to make it to where they''re need more smoothly.

As Arginine is in Protein strands, Protein sources will help and none better than Chicken as it's Zinc rich. Oysters are the most available source of Zinc, but they are costly and if cooked wrongly can cause Gastrointestinal problems.

Things that won't help include Arterial Plaque, Atheromas or Caffeine, as Caffeine constricts blodvessels and the other two block the Blood pathways, all of which could hinder healing substances from getting to where they're needed as easily.

So basically make sure you're Saturates are kept in check to avoid things like Atheromas. Although Arterial Plaque has no isolated factors, the Saturates thing is widely touted as a potential method of reducing buildup and because it's just common sense.

For the normal 2,000 calorie, sedentary average, 20g of a 70g Fat intake is reccomended, as an upper limit for daily Saturate intake. If you wre active and consumed more calories than this, I cannot say if this figure would be permissable at a higher level or not. In that instance Fat intake could increase, but it might be the case the unsaturates would increase but Saturates would still remain at 20g, rather than being deemed appropriate at a slightly higher level than 20g.

So try not to increase Saturates too much if you can.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

Lesplease wrote:KEEP YOUR DIET IN CHECK!! It is SO EASY to get "offtrack" when you are unable to exercise (eating because you're bored or sad cos your foot hurts), but this is the most critical time to watch your intake, since you can't burn off as much! You can conceivably still do some core work, no? Crutch around a bit... (: Upper body cardio can be tough since it can rely on your legs/feet as a brace. Do you know how to juggle?? (:
Juggling is VERY important, injured or not. It is the best way to diet. You can only eat while juggling bowling balls. Healthy apples are much easier than say a blueberry pie. You could watch this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nWcONo9EyU
whiterm
STARTING OUT

Post by whiterm »

wow that apple eater was super impressive! i'm a slow juggler but maybe in time I could work up to that. after all I have a couple weeks to try while I'm confined to the couch.
and thanks for all your suggesstions and advice. it's really been making me feel like I can make it through this setback even stronger. I really appreciate it
davidwalin
STARTING OUT

Post by davidwalin »

Spend one week keeping track of your activity level, using one-hour or half-hour increments. At the end of the week, use a calorie burn estimator to calculate how many calories you burned over the course of the week.