Runner with Knee pain.

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

pemberton01
STARTING OUT

Runner with Knee pain.

Post by pemberton01 »

Hello All

I am a 35 year old who runs 5 days a week, around 4 miles a run. I have been following this routine for a few months now building up endurance without incident. Unfortunately in the last week I have developed a slight pressure to the front of right knee cap and with that pressure a little pain but nothing major. The pain seems to subside after the run, but never fully goes away.

Just to give you some background, in youth and to this day I still play football (soccer) and in early twenties I damaged right knee ligaments in a tackle. I went to hospital but required no surgery and was walking on it, all be it stiffly the day after and playing again within a month. This injury has never bothered me since then. I have noticed over the years that right knee grinds when bending and going up stairs but has never given me any pain until now. Another observation I have had is right knee cap seems to sink slightly to the front, if I compare its position to left knee cap. One other observation is that I have had no swelling since this has begun, also when I rest from training the pressure and pain seems to subside then disappear.

running means a lot to me, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Runner with Knee pain.

Post by Boss Man »

One thing it might be is Chondromalacia Patellae.

It goes by other names including Secretaries Knee, Housemaids Knee, Runners Knee and Patellofemoral Syndrome.

Chondro relates to Cartilage, malacia refers to softening or degredation of sorts.

It is characterised by a grinding or grating type of noise, as the Cartilage can slip to the lateral, (outside), part of the Knee.

Strengthening of the muscle(s) around the Knee could help, but also not running for a while until the problem can resolve itself.

Hyaluronic Acid is a component of Cartilage, so it might be beneficial to do some reasearch into Hyaluronic Acid Supplements. You could also reasearch into something called Cartazyne DS, as that is a supplement designed to be proactive with Cartilage so I believe, though I don't know a massive amount about it to be honest.
Local781
STARTING OUT

Post by Local781 »

I am a bigger guy at 6/1 235 and run some pretty decent distances, recently I had some knee pain.....I had broke leg 7 years ago surfing and it twisted the leg so bad that the knee took some shock...the pain I recently had mimicked that but not to the same extreme....obviously it makes sense for you to just check with your Doctor, but perhaps shoes will make a difference.

I knew I was overdue for sneakers so bought some New Balance 1540's. I run in the woods a lot but also on the street, what a big difference new and correct shoes made....

I wonder if new shoes may help alleviate your soreness?
mike_8245
STARTING OUT

Post by mike_8245 »

I had a this really bad knee injury last year that was so bad i had trouble even getting out of bed wife who is also a runner referred me to her manual therapist that does a new technique called Movement & Posture Restoration. I went to see him about 5 times in a span of 2 weeks and by the 5th day I was back running 8 miles without any pain. He also gave me some isometric exercises to do on own that I have found to help a lot with warm up. This is the guys website http://www.torresfitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you have the same success i had!