spinal cord injury, looking for help

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

abacoian
STARTING OUT

spinal cord injury, looking for help

Post by abacoian »

I broke neck in a diving accident, was completley paralyzed, told I'd never walk again. I am confined to a wheelchair, BUT after knowing and trying I do walk short distances with a walker. The years of being in a wheelchair have weared on me. I have no denial issues and I know I probably won't ever run a marathon again. But I think at 36 I still have time and know for sure that I have crazy potential. Specifically, I'd like to see potntial not go to waste. I am in a wheelchair yes, but if I just could get a clear plan to put the pieces together correctly that I will still be disabled but that I could be 10 x better (even more) and that would be a dream turned real that I know is withhin grasp. I just need to find 1 or 2 or a dozen people willing to share their knowledge, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, routines with me, possibly help me put an effective step by step plan / program together and push me to stick to it no matter what.

Still not specific I know, but I need to work everything, hands, arms, shoulders, feet, legs, core, extensive core / balance / back.

Anyway, if anyones willing to help please let me know, I might not be on-line for a week but I greatly apreciate all consideration. I possibly could post videos for better ideas / plans.

That's all for now and thank you so much.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: spinal cord injury, looking for help

Post by Boss Man »

What sort of movement in your limbs have you got?

Have you got an affected grip?

These are things that could influence how you progress :).
abacoian
STARTING OUT

Post by abacoian »

i can move all of limbs, right side is stronger. right hand has a strong grip. I actually started driving with hand controls. right leg is strong but tight and an hinderance at times. When I walk I wear a leg brace on left leg.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think I may be able to suggest certain things, that utilise bodyweight only.

Firstly the Legs.

Quads. Raise one leg up until the Knee almost locks and bring it down. You do this by flexing the Knee, not using any hand interaction, then return to the starting point. Repeat 10 times and then switch to the other Leg. Repeat for a second set of 20 after about 30-40 seconds rest.

Move to one side, any footrests on your Chair, so they don't impede range of motion.

Hamstrings. Lie on something like a bed, not the floor and make sure your feet overhang, then flex one Knee until the foot is as close to your head as possible, keeping the Upper Leg flat, then return to the starting point. Repeat 10 times, then switch to the other Leg.

Take 30-40 seconds rest, then do another set of 20.

Lower Back and Core. Tilt your torso forwards in the chair using just the waist and Arms straight, reach over your bent Knees and see if you can touch your toes, then return to the starting point. Do 10 of these, wait about 1 minute, then repeat for 10 more.

Chest. Lift your Arms to the side of your Head, level with the shoulders, so they look like two L shapes. Move them towards each other until the fists touch infront of your face, then return to the starting point.

Do this 10 times, wait about 1 minute, then do it again 10 times.

Shoulders. Lift your Arms to the side of your Head, level with the shoulders, so they look like two L shapes. Move them upwards together, until both fists nudge one another above the head, then return to the starting point.

Repeat 10 times, rest for about 1 minute, then repeat 10 times more.

This can be done 3 times a week, every other day.

The important thing is, that should anything of the listed things, cause what you believe is unnacceptable pain or discomfort, discontinue immediately.

I don't know if this helps or not, but good luck either way :).
abacoian
STARTING OUT

Post by abacoian »

I will reply soon, I have a question about this one: Hamstrings. Lie on something like a bed, not the floor and make sure your feet overhang, then flex one Knee until the foot is as close to your head as possible, keeping the Upper Leg flat, then return to the starting point. Repeat 10 times, then switch to the other Leg

I don't understand what movement I'm doing to get foot close to head. Am I laying on back or stomach?

I'll check in soon, thank you for this, I'm excited. Happy thanksgiving
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Lying on your Stomach.

By Bending the Knee and keeping the upper Leg flat, you're moving the heel end of the foot towards your head.

You need the foot overhanging on the end of the bed though, otherwise you'll be propping your Legs up with your feet / toes, at the start of the reps and taking away a small amount of the range of motion.
marinovich
STARTING OUT

Post by marinovich »

Your story is very inspiring!!! I played div 1 football at Syracuse and had to stop playing senior year due to 3 herniated disks and 2 bulges. I thought putting on own shoes was impossible without surgery. I was fortunate enough to grow up around training and see others benefit from nervous system training. A few years back a dear friend of mine was injured in a car accident and had little to no use in the left half of their body. Through pool workouts and the stability ball implementing nervous system training that individual made a full recovery and is arguably stronger than ever. I wanted to share this with you to let you know there is hope out there and never stop striving to get better! Quick movements (or any rapid fire movent in the pool is the key to your recovery. Its a slow processes to start but it quickly shows results in 3 weeks for those with spinal issues. I would stick to using the stability ball to lessen the impact on your spine when working out and to develop your core and back muscles. Please let us know your progress and i wish you luck on your journey to recovery.

Mikhail Marinovich
http://www.marinofit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abacoian
STARTING OUT

Post by abacoian »

thank you for sharing, I truly appreciate it. I know that the pool is great, unfortunatley not being able to get in and out with less than two other people is an obstacle, but I will work on exercise outside of the pool for now, and I know it will help me. I work during the week so finding the time and energy to exercise is a challenge, but I'm working on it and figuring out what can do in between here and there in chair to reap benefits. Thank you guys again so much and I will check back with questions and ideeas for opinions.

Ian
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good luck and best wishes :).