Painful Knees

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

billysdiet
STARTING OUT

Painful Knees

Post by billysdiet »

Hi all. First time poster!
I am a big girl and I have been overweight for half life.
I recently have moved to new business offices which is close to home.
So I have decided to walk to school with the kids, onto office and the same in reverse.
I have been tracking steps and it is 10,000 easily each day.
I am a size 20/22 so this is really good.
But knees!!! Ouch they are soooo painful. Walking is fine but bending them to sit down, get up, go up steps is agony.
I am not a real moaner about pain but this is bad. Its easily a 8-9 on the 10 scale.
I am less sedentary at the weekend and by sunday night they are so much better.
So its a catch 20-22. If I walk it hurts but if I don't walk I wont lose weight and knees will always be bad.
Should I push through the pain? Will they get stronger after a while, if so how long?
A busy self employed mum of 3 I cant keep hobbling!
Please help.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Painful Knees

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Belinda, it's good to converse with you.

You might want to consider researching certain types of supplements such as chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid and cartazyne.

Also how do your eating habits stack up right now, could please give me a typical daily menu with approximate meal times?

Thank you and try not to worry too much. I appreciate this must be distressing when you don't understand how to proceed without compromising your joints or your physical goals, but if we can do anything to help we will try :).
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

billysdiet wrote:So I have decided to walk to school with the kids, onto office and the same in reverse.
I have been tracking steps and it is 10,000 easily each day.
I am a size 20/22 so this is really good.
But knees!!! Ouch they are soooo painful. Walking is fine but bending them to sit down, get up, go up steps is agony.
I am not a real moaner about pain but this is bad. Its easily a 8-9 on the 10 scale.
I am less sedentary at the weekend and by sunday night they are so much better.
So its a catch 20-22. If I walk it hurts but if I don't walk I wont lose weight and knees will always be bad.
What kind of shoes are you walking in? Are they new or relatively new? Do they have good support? What kind of surface are you walking on? Is there an option to walk parts on grass or dirt?
If you have not been exercising much previously, and started this walking, it is pretty normal for your body to object. You might cut back a bit, only walk 3 days a week instead of every day, until your body adjusts.
Hope this helps a bit, and good luck to ya! :D
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

In addition to wearing well cushioned shoes and walking on soft surfaces, you can reduce strain on your knees by reducing your overall walking time throughout the week. Try driving your kids to school one or two days a week.
WilliamYoung
STARTING OUT

Post by WilliamYoung »

I think you should try and push past the pain. Just make sure you have the correct walking shoes to start of gently and increase onto some workout exercises to build and strengthen your legs and knees.
shruthi143
STARTING OUT

Post by shruthi143 »

The reason behind your knee pain could be your previous weight. do you know that a 1lb of increase in weight could put a 4lbs of weight on knees? May be this could be a cause. But don't worry, you continue walking, the pain will be go to bay when the time comes. Whatever, put motivation and continue your work.