ankles suck

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

nicki79
STARTING OUT

ankles suck

Post by nicki79 »

Where to start....Starting over again after a few years (yes years) of body neglect. I went from wayy skinny and doing it the unhealthy way to being wayy overweight. Shocking right? I guess I could sit here and blame everything from divorce to major health problems (blood clots in lungs, heart issues blah blah blah) to having a special needs child, but that obviously has not done me any good in the past so..moving forward. Last May I fell chasing after two idiot cats and badly sprained both of ankles and actually had an avulsion fracture on right foot. I was badly injured and decided to forgo any medical advice I had received and went back to work the next day (nursing, I was actually forbid to walk by supervisor, so I got stuck doing paperwork for a week) ended up with an air cast and waited months before seeing PT. Saw PT, things got a little better and I was done. Now, I've started back on the treadmill and have been busting hiney :D However, I am in pain everyday! I started out walking and jogging until I had such horrible knee pain that I completely stopped jogging realizing it was from the jacked-up state of ankles. Even with just walking, I still have swelling and pain all the time. I'm talking, I-can't-even-walk-down-stairs-without-wanting-to-stab-someone pain. I've done the rest/ice/support thing and felt better for a week and then it just started all over again. So, now I just work through the pain and continue on. PT has nothing more to offer so I am kinda wondering if anyone has any suggestions?? As I read this, I realize how much of an idiot I was not to take the advice I give people everyday, but that's old news. Just looking for people who may have had injuries and have any tips on how to make the discomfort/swelling/stiffness at least some what bearable. Quitting is not an option for me this time, so thanks ahead for any words of wisdom! :mrgreen:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: ankles suck

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Nicki, good to talk to you.

The physio has nothing more they can do, but have you consulted someone like a kinesiologist?

Have you had any further consultations on it like MRI, or any other additional tests, to identify the current state of things?

In terms of the diet, what times do you eat and what foods do you eat at those times?
nicki79
STARTING OUT

Post by nicki79 »

I have not persued it further just because I'm sick of hearing the same stuff. I have the therapy bands, I have the rehab exercises..same thing over and over. I had not considered a kinesthesiologist. At this point, I am willing to do anything. As I sit here, feet are just throbbing.

As far as diet, during the day is difficult for me being in and out with patients most of the time. High caffeine :-( high protein and low/good carb. I have to be careful what vitamin K intake is because of the blood thinner I take, but I do try to get low sugar fruits and vegetables in. Diet is a tricky thing with me and sometimes I let it mess with head. So I try to do the small, frequent meal type of thing so I'm not over or under eating. Hmm I'm not sure if that even makes sense, but it works for me I guess.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The issue you're going to potentially get, though I think you may well have realised this, but if not, is that caffeine constricts the blood vessels and blocks iron uptake, so your red blood cell, (erythrocyte), count could be lowered and the speed of blood flow could be reduced, so if you're allowing a slower and reduced rate of oxygen delivery to the muscles and cells surrounding the ankle, that may be a slight issue, but the caffeine could also be working against the thinner, not least as Iron helps to create Myoglobin; oxygen storing cells in the muscles.

If you stopped consuming caffeinated drinks, you might not need the blood thinner possibly, which I'm assuming is either ramipril or warfarin unless it's something with some kind of aspirin content in it.

Has the blood thinner and the caffeine connection ever been discussed by a professional? Please excuse me if I am being a bit intrusive, sincerest apologies if I am :).
nicki79
STARTING OUT

Post by nicki79 »

Yes, I take coumadin...unfortunately. I have since I was 26 when I got the clots in lungs. I have often thought about taking chances and quitting coumadin, but I have Factor V Leiden so I have to be smart about that. No one has ever said anything to me about caffeine specifically. I really watch vitamin K intake, which makes dieting a bit challenging. Everything good for you has vitamin K in it. I'm not sure I can kick the caffeine. I may be chatting with you via jail mail :-)
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I hope the pain in your ankles gets better for you soon.