Tendonitis in shoulder

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Edvin23
STARTING OUT

Tendonitis in shoulder

Post by Edvin23 »

I have got a tendonitis in one of shoulders (in the Supraspinatus), and I am feeling that it is not healing. I have a constant pain there, and it feels worse when I try to lift arm up to the side. I have had it for three weeks now, and it is quite frustrating because I can`t train any of the muscle groups where I must use arms. I am also worried that it will take several months for it to heal, and that I will lose a lot of upper body strength during that period because I can`t train this muscle groups.

The only muscles I feel I can train efficiently is legs and abs, but only with bodyweight exercises.

So I wonder if anyone here have any tips and advices in what I can do to make the tendonitis heal more efficiently?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Tendonitis in shoulder

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Edvin, good to talk to you.

Firstly, try taking an anti-inflammatory gel product and see if that helps, but make sure you have no allergies to the primary ingredient, or that the product may interact with any medicinal substances or supplements you may be currently taking.

You might want to consider some kind of wraps of some nature that might be able to go around the shoulder area, or some kind of a support made of a flexible material, to some kind of sports tape that can be fixed to the area in question.

Also if you like sleeping on your side, avoid sleeping on the one with the injury, so you're avoiding any or additional compression of the compromised area.

Don't forget, in case you were not aware, that your shoulder has 3 deltoid muscles and 4 rotator cuff muscles, so your assertion about the origins of the pain, may not be correct, as you may have damage to more than one area of muscle and / or soft tissue, or the problem may be emanating from a different part of the shoulder area, than the part of the rotator cuff you named.

Should the issue continue to persist for another week or two, without any detectable dissipation in the pain signals, then strongly consider a medical professional, as what you have done may require a surgical intervention and at least possibly some scans to identify the issue more easily.

I recently suffered a slight snag in back and I tried to work around it in training and with certain everyday movements for several days, as well as using an NSAID, before I realised it was alleviating itself in some small way, but not as quickly as I thought it might, so I went to a doctor and got a more potent NSAID type product prescribed, that assisted me, along with own levels of common sense relating to what may or may not aggravate the problem.

I'm pretty much okay now.