Recommended exercises after ACL Ligament Knee surgery for Quads

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

alx_fitness
STARTING OUT

Recommended exercises after ACL Ligament Knee surgery for Quads

Post by alx_fitness »

Hi all!
I saw this video on Youtube that places the Leg extension in the iron grave yard, as one of the most dangerous and worse exercises for the knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Y3WDY1tUo

I've actually had ACL ligament surgery on left knee 1.5 year ago (not cause by this exercise, I fell off a long-board and landed badly at great speed) The ligament was pulled off with a small piece of bone underneath, the same way you pull off a tree with its roots from the ground. Fortunately the ligament was not cut / ripped so I avoided having an implant and the doctor stapled it back in place with a plastic stitch connected on the bone. After the surgery it took me around 2 months to start walking again and as a result, left leg atrophied (Especially the quad muscle) Now the X-Rays & MRI showed that the damage has been restored and the doctor tested the knee joint and there is no ligament instability and the left knee is slightly tighter than the right knee now. How ever both the doctor and the physiotherapist recommended me to do Leg Extensions just on the left leg to regain the quad strength and mass back. I've been doing this exercise for about a year now and gradually increasing the weights (I can do up to 47KG / 103pounds just on the left leg now) without a problem, so should I stop it in case it gets injured again? If so, what other safer exercises should I do to strengthen quad muscles and regain the lost muscle mass?

Thanks in advance!
Swoley1
STARTING OUT

Re: Recommended exercises after ACL Ligament Knee surgery for Quads

Post by Swoley1 »

I had a meniscectomy on knee about 7 years ago. Never been the same since. I've found that squatting and REALLY paying attention to form is the best thing for me. Don't feel embarrassed offloading the weight and really keeping the form tight.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Recommended exercises after ACL Ligament Knee surgery for Quads

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Alx, good to talk to you

Squats are better, but many pros do extensions and squat with no ill effect; though not to say that can't happen as any exercise is a risk. I've done extensions on many occasions, often when I simply can't squat the way I want to; people using what you need yada yada, but I've encountered no serious issues at all in time, so I'd say do the extensions for now but if concerned, or you feel something is not right about them too many times try something else.