What would be the ideal workout when one has some injuries?

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

InesPrata
STARTING OUT

What would be the ideal workout when one has some injuries?

Post by InesPrata »

Hello everyone,

I have started this topic hoping that someone could give me some advice on what would be the ideal type of workout for me, keeping in mind that knees are not at its best and neither is right shoulder. But let me give a quick summary of fitness story...

I am 22 yeas old and I have been going to the gym for 3 years now (at least). Usually I take classes and favourites have always been BodyPump, PowerJump, and occasionally BodyCombat. But I have been having some problems for the past year. In December 2014 I started feeling strong pain in right shoulder and it kind of "spread" to elbow and wrist area. At a doctor's appointment I was told it was probably a tendonitis and was due tue bad posture and too much time in front of the computer (I am a student). With muscle relaxants and NSAIDS it got better.
However, this year it came back and it is way worse... I felt what I would discribe as a cold tingling sensation on shoulder, elbow and wrist. I also feel strong pain when its worse and the movements are a bit "stuck". Knees also started hurting a lot!!
Recently I have been to the doctor and he said that I have a tendonitis and a muscle contraction. A physical therapyst I went to said that I should rest and quit the classes that I usually attend. He said they are too intense for built and are very damaging, especially for joints.
I have been feeling a little better know that I have put physical exercise on hold (all I do is take walks), but I really miss working out.

I understand that BodyPump may not be the most adequate way of working out for me... But I really like the results I get from it.
So, could anybody advise me on how I could workout and still be in shape and toned? Pilates, maybe?

Thank you for your patience!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: What would be the ideal workout when one has some injuries?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi ines, good to talk to you.

I'm sorry that you seem to be having these recurrent difficulties and I can appreciate it is obviously affecting your mood somewhat.

This workout should hopefully work for you I feel.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks, 30 - 45 seconds

You increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can do around 90 seconds

You do this 3 times a week every other day

This is done in the gym without any weight, as it will test your body's ability to strengthen a bit and utilise full ranges of motion.

If you have any issues performing any of these exercises, let us know and we will try to suggest modifications or some kind of other option(s).

I'm not sure what the doctor would mean by you having a muscle contraction, unless they meant one or more muscles somehow couldn't expand, which would mean one or more muscles not being able to stretch out fully.

Was bursitis mentioned to you at all, as being any part of the problem?