Exercise vs Illness

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Exercise or Rest

Exercise now
50%
Don't exercise until cold is over
50%

Total votes: 2

Caters
STARTING OUT

Exercise vs Illness

Post by Caters »

I have caught a cold and I know that an ill body needs rest.

But at the same time, I want to start toning muscles again and do cardio to ready myself for running a 5K.

Since illness is just a cold, should I exercise to help lose weight and tone muscles or should I wait until I don't have a cold?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Exercise vs Illness

Post by Boss Man »

There are differing theories on this.

Some say it's not a good idea as it might prolong the cold by being counterproductive to the bodies viral management capabilities, but view is if it assists with increasing body temperature, then it could help to fight the virus, as it's working in conjunction with your bodies own thermostatic regulation that is governed by the hypothalamus.

However it might be wise if you do exercise to just use about half of the weight you normally use for the next 2-3 sessions until your cold is receding, or alternatively consider a few more days rest until you are over the worst of it.
goffjuan
STARTING OUT

Post by goffjuan »

Depends on individual physical capability. Rest during illness is also important but if its just a cold, exercise may help improve immunity will, in turn, help fight against viral infections.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

How might exercise help improve immunity?
goffjuan
STARTING OUT

Post by goffjuan »

Hi Bossman,
Some of the theories:
Exercise affects WBC circulation positively. WBC are immune systems cells in our body that fights decease. Exercise help WBC get circulated more rapidly to detect illness.
Physical activity help throw bacteria out of the lungs and airways which in turn reduces chances of getting cough, cold or flu.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I was aware of what white blood cells are like T-cells, B-cells, granulocytes, phagocytes etc, but admittedly not what all of them specifically do, but I might be interested if you have any links to credible research articles on the matter as i might be willing to put them up for people.