Takes body long time to warm up . BP problem?

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

janvier10
STARTING OUT

Takes body long time to warm up . BP problem?

Post by janvier10 »

Hi there,

I'm a 26 F. Healthy in general and do a lot of sports throughout life. But even as a kid, I was told by doctors I have pretty low BP. Even lower than average women BP. I don't know if this is what's affecting me.. These days I'm more aware of body, and I'm starting to train for a bike race this summer. I realized whenever I start exercising/hiking/running/cycling, it takes me a very very long time to warm up. It can take body up to 2hr to be fully engaged, even though everyone else is ready in the first 45min. Anyone else have this problem??? Once I'm warmed up though ,I can exercise for a long time though. The first 2 hr includes heavy breathing, and muscles get tight easily.

Any ideas what the problem is? Or what I can do? ??

Cheers!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Takes body long time to warm up . BP problem?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Janvier, good to talk to you.

It might be related to blood pressure, or it might be related to how the blood gets round your body.

Caffeinated products like tea, coffee, yerba mate, guarana energy drinks etc, can cause constriction of the blood vessels which in turn would be linked to raising of blood pressure, but it would also mean the muscles couldn't get blood oxygen replenishment as easily as if the blood vessels were more dilated.

However low blood pressure might also be linked to this as systolic pressure, the top reading of a blood pressure number, relates to when the heart beats, so if the heart doesn't beat as readily as some peoples does, then it could slow down blood flow to the organs and muscles.

Calcium can have an effect on blood pressure and heart function if you consume too much. In general, people only need around 1,200mg a day, but if you consume too much, you can get something called calcification which causes arterial stiffening and I think high calcium intake is linked to ventricular stiffening, where the left ventricle that pumps blood through to the aorta, lose it's ability to do this to some extent and that can affect speed of blood flow.

You might possibly have valve incompetence, where a valve doesn't close properly and this allows blood to flow backwards; also known as regurgitation.

There is also something called a water hammer or trip hammer pulse, where the ability for the body to pump blood through a valve is weak, meaning sometimes the blood is not getting enough oomph and may regurgitate.

Have you ever had any testing for things like heart function or anything to identify arterial sufficiency / insufficiency?