Thyroid issues?

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

GreenSuede33
STARTING OUT

Thyroid issues?

Post by GreenSuede33 »

So I've been fairly active most of life. At least...I'd like to think so. Trouble is as I push towards 50, things aren't working quite so well. Which is to be expected, but I'm starting to think there might be something else at play here. I eat pretty well, exercise daily, don't drink too much of ye olde coffee (you can't prove otherwise...), but I'm finding motivation / energy / recovery has taken a massive hit over the last six months or so.

At this point I feel constantly tired, whether I take a few weeks off / get a good night's sleep or not. The old 'get up and go' is nowhere to be found. To be honest, it's a bit of a struggle to get out of bed most mornings. Forever tired, never sleepy! To be honest I'm a little weary about checking in with the doc which is why I've been checking online / thought I'd post first. I'm thinking this might be something to do with thyroid or hormones? (for example)?

Anyone else here been through something similar? I'm looking at lining up an appointment for next week, but I'd love to know as much as I can before I go in!

Thnx
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Thyroid issues?

Post by Boss Man »

Not had expeience of what you're talking about, but things like hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, graves disease and hashmoto's disease, tend to have effects on your metabolism to the point where it's possible to lose or gain weight reasonable quickly, because your metabolism is underactive or overactive. Your problem might possibly relate to the parathyroid in the neck which is linked to metabolic functions and from memory has a relationship with how your body processes calcium.

You may find if your energy levels are lowered you might have some issue with your iron levels, because that might mean you are currently getting less iron absorption and then you cannot produce as many red blood cells, erythrocytes, in the body that carry oxygen storing hemoglobin around your body and you might also have less myoglobin, which allows oxygen storage in your muscles.

Maybe your diet is not consistent with your energy expenditure. Not enough calories and the right levels of macronutrients and micronutrients, could then also play a part particularly if your exercise was excessive, as people who train too much end up going stale as it's known, or overtraining as it's also known and that can affect peoples recovery and things like loss of weight lifting ability can occur, so such things might be worth a thought at least.

It may be you don't have a thyroid and / or parathyroid problem, but I would reccomend you see a doctor / physician / clinician to be on the safe side, but don't be too hung up about your issue(s), being related to your metabolic functions, as there may be other things at play here possibly as well as, or instead of, but a qualified professional will be able to do a lot more for you than someone like me :).