Right Knee is Worn and Sore After Walking Fast or Running

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Right Knee is Worn and Sore After Walking Fast or Running

Post by TechnicGeek »

Hello,

For about 1 hour per day, I walk fast and run intermittently and right knee gets sore eventually.
Almost every step that I make, I feel slight pain and if I turn body to either left and right, I feel pain too.
When I take a break for a couple of days, knee gets better.

I am outside of US and UK but thought maybe there is a cream/ointment that can relieve pain and heal knees?
If there is, I could at least look for one with appropriate ingredients.

Thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Right Knee is Worn and Sore After Walking Fast or Running

Post by Boss Man »

What kid of running surface are you using, because a hard concrete surface versus a treadmill or a grass surface, might possibly make a difference to how the knee feels when you finish running.
TechnicGeek
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by TechnicGeek »

@Boss Man I run on what you see on the photo. I don't know how this is called in English. I don't know why image does not display so I link to it: https://rb.gy/ukfly4.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think it's possible the running surface might be reason for the knee issue you experience during running. It's not very smooth, because it's made up of little rectangular stones with ridges inbetween them.

I would suggest trying a softer surface for a few weeks like a treadmil or a large open grassy space and see what happens. You could try a concrete surface that is pretty smooth all the way, like pedestrian walkways next to the road, but I'm not certain if that would make any difference or not, so I think a softer surface for running on could alieviate the issue you get with your knee.

Your problem could potentially be connected to mild jarring of the kneecap, that isn't severe enough to cause persistent pain or discomfort, so a softer surface might allow you to negate this issue, by creating less jarring of the kneecap.

I would try running on grass first, as grass is softer than stones or concrete but is still layered on top of solid ground and therefore may be better for you, but could also offer less comfort and relief from your problem than a treadmill might.

If you still get the issue on grass, then try a treadmill and see if that is any better. If the problem still persists, you could try a regular or recumbent exercise bike and get the exertion without loadbearing on your knees, to see if that makes any difference.

If you're finding all these alternatives of no relief from the issue you get, I would then suggest checking with a medical professional, just to ascertain or rule out any underlying problem.

Another possibility to consider is perhaps the type of footwear you use. People have differing running styles:-

1. A neutral one.

2. A supinated one where the ankles roll outwards.

3. A pronated one where the ankles roll inwards.

The issue you have may not necessarily be related to the running surface you're using, but the type of footwear you're using, but a suck it and see approach is the best thing, because the moment you change more than one aspect of what you're doing, to try and correct your problem, you cannot isolate what thing or things are most effective and you may make one or more changes to what you're doing that are unneccessary, or may even be counterproductive, so isolating the effect(s) of one single change, would give you understanding of how such things affect your circumstances in a positive, negative or an inconsequential way.

Hopefully that all makes sense :).