Elbow injury...

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Elbow injury...

Post by nitecrawler »

Hello all..
for past some time I am having some problems with elbow.

The problem first trigerred when I was doing Skull crushers. but it vanished immediately and as a precaution I stopped doing triceps extension...

Now 2 weeks back the problem again started but this time it was during pressing movements ie bench press and pushups..so I stoped doing them completely and gave it a break for a week. (i only experienced pain while doing pressing action and nothing else.)

After 1 week I progressed slowly with only 5 pushups at one go. and stop doing chinups and only light bench press. When I thought everything was OK it came back again..it was when I was doing pushups (i was doing trying to use speed to increase total reps)

The pain lasted for 1-2 hours and I yesterday I tried doing Chinups and bench for less reps and pain did not trigerred.

I guess its not much serious and I can not see any signs like swellling that would suggest its a big injury.

I would like to ask few questions :

1. should I completely stop doing any exercise for upper body or continue doing exercise where I do not feel any pain.

2. I am currently doing heavy work with forearms (Deadlifts, farmer walk and wrist roller) but negligible work for Biceps (only while doing pulldown, Rows) and triceps. I heard that it may lead to some imbalance, is this correct and should i stop doing heavy forearm work too??

3. I am taking 2 capsules of fish oil a day will it be worth while to increase the dosage ??

thanks in advance :)
nsbmsk
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by nsbmsk »

Can you remember ever having injured your elbow in the past?

husband experienced much of what you are and it just got worse over a few years. Ended up being a bone spur on the end of the joint and one inside the joint. These can be damaging to your nerves and cause increasing pain. They can only be removed by surgery and you'd be out of commission for about 6 weeks.

If it continues to get worse get it checked out. It could also be a tendon or ligament that is too tight. In that case massage works wonders.

P.S. husband got his injury by hitting the ice during a hockey game with his elbow and that was 15 years ago and he just had surgery this past fall.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

may be pathological (nerve impingemnt etc) which needs to be seen to...probably originating from the shoulder but pain coming in elbows from compensation...maybe email Eric Cressey at t-nation and say exactly what the problem is, how, when etc so he can do his best to partly diagnose it and may give you some remedies
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

thanks to everyone,

I was just thinking that there is nothing serious and didn't have no swelling so didn't thought of going to a doctor. and I can't remember if i have any past injuries in elbow except some normal stuff.

Ok I will mail to Eric Cressey ! :roll:

so as a precautionary measre should i stop doing all upper body exercises ?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i would lay off shoulder, bench and tricep presses for now....push ups should be alright...arms and legs fine i think...plenty of back and ham/glute work oppurtunity...i've got some programs for you if you want for that
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

That would be great swanso :)
I was really confused on what to do as I have dropped everything including condition exercise (dumbbell snatches and clean) that I was doing.

current schedule is :(

Day 1 :
Front squat.
Deadlift
Reverse lunges.
Back extension or Good mornings
Calf raise.

Day2:
Pulups (only 2-3)
Pulldown
Row
seated rows.
reverse grip barbell curls

Day3: rest

Day4:
Back squats
Bulgarian Split squats (dumbbells only)
Stiff leged deadlifts.
Overhead walking lunges
dorsiflexion extension

Day 5: Rest

Day 6: same as day 2 with special attention to grip training :(

P.s: I will write a mail to Cressey today or tommorow !
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

here's a back one:

3D Upper Body (ct)
• Uses contrast triple threat training where you alternate between certain types of contractions for the same muscle such as light and explosive to heavy and slow but this uses 3 contraction types…explosive con @ 50 – 70%, con / ecc near maximal 85 – 100% and ecc supramax loading 110 – 130% negs…uses 1 basic exercise being the Olympic Stance Dead with the variations being the Clean Pull, Clean Grip Dead and Ecc Dead…Clean Pull – pull to close to rib cage with the key being to lift under control to knee than explode at the knees while the calves and traps contract maximally at the same time…Clean Grip Dead – shoulders start in front or above the bar, hip width stance, toes slightly out, shoulder width grip, legs bent slightly at 110 – 120 degrees, the bar is initially lifted via knee ext until it reaches knee where you bring in back ext…Ecc Dead – lower the bar in 10secs if load is 110 – 115%, 8 if 115 – 120, 6 if 120 – 125 and 4 if 125 – 130, 1 rep / set, do a ½ Dead to get to top position than step back and lower…Set 1 – Clean Pull x 5, 50%, 20X…2 – Dead x 3. 90, 301…3 – Dead x 2, 90% + 10pds, 301…4 – Dead x 1, 90% + 20pds, 301…5 – Ecc Dead x 1, 110 – 115, 1000…6 – Clean Pull x 5, 55, 20X…7 – Dead x 3, 90% + 10pds, 301…8 – Dead x 2, 90% + 2, 301…9 – Dead x 1, 90% + 10pds, 301…10 – Ecc Dead x 1, 120, 800…11 – Clean Pull x 5, 60, 20X, keep going only if last set was successful from now on…12 – Dead x 3, 90% + 20pds, 301…13 – Dead x 2, 90% + 30pds, 301…14 – Dead x 1, 90% + 40pds, 301…15 – Ecc Dead x 1, 120 – 125, 600, do last always even if you don’t do last few because you didn’t make last set…Shrug or Row variety x 3 – 5 sets…start 1/week and introduce 1 more when you can…do not do anymore back work for best results…can replace Clean Pull with Power Clean if you can do it…4 – 6 weeks

what do you your elbow could do / take??
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

I have seen problems while doing :

1. Bench press variations.
2. Shoulder press variations.
3. triceps extensions.
4. Chin ups (palm facing face)

no problem doing
1. deadlift.
2. medium grip pulldown in front.
3. rows variation / facepull
4. basically anything where ROM for elbow is not much.

and as for Olympic lifts goes I have not tried them just because of the explosive nature of these exercise. and partly also due to the fact that I am in learning process only..
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i'm not sure but i think a clean pull is the same as a hang clean...try them in place of them which are probably the easiest one to do
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

I tried Hang Clean yesterday.... But I guess I ended up doing power clean and a front squat :) basically I was struggling to go down and raising the bar at same time. also I was not jumping at the moment of shrugging the weight up, but i guess that should not effect much as I was using light weight.

Also this morning I can feel the burn in traps, which I hve never felt doing any shrug movement. :)
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it should go like this but your not far off;

1 - perform the top 3rd of a stiff legged deadlift

2 - jump squat while sort of upright rowing the bar to your shoulders

3 - absorb the upright row by bending the knee's upon landing from the jump squat portion and straighten legs and steady*

4 - perform the same jump squat action while pushing the bar overhead

* look at a wt lifter and watch them absorb the "pull", steady then jerk and that's what i mean
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

thanks swanso,
I was searching today and found this article, would try this technique on next workout.
www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-059-training
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it's not entirely neccesary to do the full squat when catching the bar if your flexibility doesn't allow for it but by all means follow this
nitecrawler
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by nitecrawler »

Update: elbow is lot better now. but there is a new problem now. Instead of elbow the pain is directly in shoulder. currently doing wall slides and face pulls. also doing pushups but pain starts after 5 reps only...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

impingement..injury would have originated in the shoulder with pain coming from elbow from compensation...go to physio or chiro