Injury

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

FireMyst
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Injury

Post by FireMyst »

Okay here's the situation. I've been on a very strict diet since I joined this forum and it is working (1m83 - 72kg). 10 days ago I injured right knee in soccer and that kept me away from training. I'm still not able to run and I'd like to know what diet to keep now sould I keep eat 5 times a day a high protein low carb low fat ? I didn't take any protein supplement during this time as I don't think I need them being that I don't excercise anymore.

I've been able to loose 1 kilo last week but I'm afraid most of it is muscle anyway.

second question is regarding excerise abs are loosing out and body needs to get toned, so what are the weight training or any other excercise that I'd be able to do without worsening knee condition (tendons).
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

- yes continue with 5 meals/day of high protein / low carb approach

- protein will spare muscle being lost so never stop having it...doesn't have to be a powder but if you don't have that then still have that meal but with a solid protein source...losing muscle will make you look fatter even if lose wt (think a runner - stringy)

- as for exercise all upper body work should be no worries although you may need a few changes if doing deads and squats...if doing deads than do them from mid shin/knee depending on how much wt you can handle with your knee or try higher reps which would be better than not doing them at all...exercise bike with pedal resistance if you for cardio as this will at least maintain muscle too...without knowing what you can and can't do it's hard to give you tips

- you'll need to be more strict with diet now or just go into a maintenance type plan not trying lose or gain which will set you up to be able to lose again when you're better
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

Hi there,
how low are your carbs and fat? Low is fine, I just wanted to make sure they are not too low, since we need both for vital body functions.
Have you seen a doc about your knee? If you did, following his/her advice for exercise is most important. Otherwise, you can probably do all upper body the same, work calves, and just be real careful on other exercises. If it hurts your knee, stop. When I had a knee injury I started back doing squats with no weights and straight leg deadlifts at 20 pounds. I had been doing both at about 150 before, ugh. I built back really slowly to make sure I didn't re-injur knee.

Good luck!

Sarah
FireMyst
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by FireMyst »

Thanks guys. I will describe diet and knee problem and I'm sorry if it is too long:

I had the same ACL problem like 4 or 5 years ago and I don't want to rush on rehab. The swallowing (inflammation) is minimal right now, I can extend knee with no problems, I might be missing just 10-20 only on the backward flex. I am very careful with this knee. Yesterday I walked for the first time a long distance (5 miles in the city non stop except traffic lights) and by the end of the day I felt some itching and dumbness in knee... yesterday night I juggled with the soccer ball quiet ok... I walk normal, I still can't run.

so what I will do is work upper body and abs these 2 weeks and then start full rehab. I hate rehab when the tendons are still inflamed cause it is very painful and depressing. Any idea on excercises that would allow me to work other muscles without alot of pressure on the knee?

so now let's talk about the carbs, in fitday I cycle between 100-150gr in average per day with lows in the 80gr and highs in 200gr (let's call those alcohol days :) which are like twice a week. I mostly don't eat sugar or anything sweet except alot of veggies one apple per day, skim milk and some grains cereal with alot of fiber in the morning again no sugar.

Fat average is 20gr per day... This mostly comes from the meat and the fish. The grains I eat are with minimal fat. I take a shot of Omega 3-6-12 once a week. The bottle says it is a daily value but it is too much for me, so I guess it is fine once a week nails and hair feel good.

Protein average is 130gr with maxs in the 180 and mins in the 90's... I usually diminish the proteins after the 200gr carb days... body seems to like this... again not very sure the fitday keeps track correctly of the protein intake I'm reallly not hungry and I'd say I eat 150gr or proteins per day.

I feel good, carb limiting isn't very tough but sometimes I have carvings, and I eat carrots or drink diet soda... especially after workouts carbs are killing me. I was thinking to add brown rice daily but then knee was injured and I didn't need it anymore.

Alcohol Average is 23gr/day again not sure how fitday calculates this, it tends to inflates alcohol and diminish the proteins... as I said I drink moderately well twice per week.

typical meal

meal 1
1 glass skim milk + 1 apple + 1 egg white + Ezekiel Whole Grain - Golden Flax (the grain thing is 100% organic, no added sugar, 3gr fat, 180cal, 6gr fiber, 37gr carb, 8gr protein)

meal 2
chicken breast + lettuce or tuna can + salad

meal 3
lean steak + salad

workout (before knee injury)

protein shake + skim milk

fish + cooked vegetable + 50cals (no fat cream cheese+finnish crackers)

I loose about 3 lbs a week with the first two weeks around 5lbs. Anything too low, too high?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

seems alright...a 3pd wt loss a week means your probably losing muscle so increaase cal's a little...as for yuor cycling i would have high carbs days on hard trainin days, mod carbs on moderate / cardio type days and low on the others if your not already...get into your rehab as soon as you can...don't know what exercises you were doing beforehand but most of them will have a seated variation or something...the grog will catch up with you so cut to once a week