Recovering from a hamstring injury

Discuss injuries, health issues, medical research and other related things.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fygle
REGULAR

Recovering from a hamstring injury

Post by Fygle »

A friend of mine has been struggling with a soccer related hamstring injury for over a year. He's been doing certain leg exercises and icing by advice from his physiotherapist, but has had little progress. Does anyone have any tips that could speed up his recovery? The pain goes all the way from the bottom glute to the back of the knee.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Recovering from a hamstring injury

Post by Boss Man »

Depends on what happened. He must have had a tear, for it to take that long.

If the Tendon is torn and is not reconnecting properly, or potentially worse still, came away from the Bone, as opposed to tearing in the middle, that could require surgical intervention.

If the tear is a muscle related tear, then again surgery might be the only option.

A tendon based problem could be potentially aided with Cortisone, but I think it's gone beyond that.

He may have to resign himself to the possibility that surgery may be the only option. It shouldn't take this long for a Hamsdtriong problem to heal.

Plus some basic exercises and Icing, would probably only go so far if the problem is very severe instead of mild.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Thanks a lot for your reply. I can add that he's taken xrays, and they can find nothing wrong on them so that should leave out tendon issues.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Not really, as X-rays tend to show things like Bone issues and things like Organs and obstructions, Kidney Stones etc etc. It may not be ideal for muscle or connective tissue problems.

He'd be better off having an MRI for that I feel.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Thanks guys, have forwarded the feedback to him :) He actually had MRI too, but not ultrasound.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

He's decided to get an ultrasound so we'll see what comes out of it. Torn achilles does not sound pleasant.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

he needs to activate and strengthen the shit out of his glutes (no pun intended)

he'd know already if he tore an achillees too
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Would you say he should keep being about stretching and icing?
rohanjain
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by rohanjain »

Recovering from this injury may take days or months.Rest is the solution for this injury.Ice is very helpful for hamstring injury.
RichardSmith
STARTING OUT

Post by RichardSmith »

Sounds like this could take awhile, best follow advice given
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well it has been seven years, so maybe he did.
tylerr
STARTING OUT

Post by tylerr »

I've had hamstring issues twice, though never went to a doctor or PT. The two times were slightly different.

The first time I came back pretty quickly, the 2nd time I think it was about 2-3 weeks of no running at all. So there's really no way to tell, and no way that I've found to shorten the recovery.

Here's what I did: Wait about 5 days of no running, then give it a short test, like jog down to the end of the block and back. If it hurts at all, wait another 2-3 days, then try again. Once you can jog to the end of the block, wait another day or two, then try an easy jog for about a mile. If that goes pain free, wait another couple days and take it up to an easy 3 miles. Then just gradually build up from there. If you do that slow, gradual build up, you'll be less likely to have any more issues with it.