WOW February 16th to 22nd

Laugh about, live and enjoy being over 50, or talk about those over 50 even if you're not, because aging doesn't have to be a chore.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

young at heart
HIGH FLYER

Re: WOW February 16th to 22nd

Post by young at heart »

HI and wishing everyone a good night and some very good sleep's too! I sure was up last night with this leg thing. Hopefully better tonight and work tomorrow. Will sure try to go and if it gets too bad, will have to leave. As long as I can stand on it and move it a bit to go:)
Love the pic's and the doggie one too Sue:) Hoping you had a very nice ME day and enjoy your day tomorrow also. No picnic's here. Suppose to rain tonight and maybe part of tomorrow too. I look at it as the tear's for the veteran's that died for us.
I don't put Thanksgiving on list much either Bossman. Sometimes bday will land on it and I figure everyone is celebrating it :clap: But if I want a turkey dinner, I make it when I feel like it, not on a Day:) I guess up here, after a Very Long winter, they go crazy and go parks and all :wowzer: Although we've had snow later. Still no flowers here except for the dandelions. Not sure of the lilac's. They look a bit brown or black?
Mo, enjoy your day also and at least your Dh tries to do what you want hey?:) Hope he gets to relax a bit tomorrow or does he need to work? I need to get hummingbird feeder out soon. Just didn't go much with foot today but did get on a locked gas cap since I notice gas has been going down too quick? And other people also. Guess we're all sleeping or in bed reading and its by a highway but not much action at night here so who knows whats going on out there:) Bama, hoping your house sells very soon too! If I could find a Very cheap apt., I'd leave most stuff here:) Just what I needed. But doubt if I can do that anyway. Well have a very good night and prayers for all who lost a loved one in the war's and all :( :wave:
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Post by whenlifewassimpler »

Morning ladies,

Happy Memorial Day......

YAH I sure hope you slept better and your leg is better today too. Yes, had a very nice "me day" and evening too with our traditional movie of Seabiscuit and tonight is Secretariat. Hope the day at work goes alright and your leg is alright also....worry about you.

Have a wonderful day,

Sue
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Feel free to elaborate if you like, we won't judge you :tongue:
young at heart
HIGH FLYER

Post by young at heart »

Good night all and I do hope you had a very good day! Love that hissy fit pic Sue!! I could do that for sure today:) Went Walk IN clinic and never got anything answered or no xray or anything! sis said I should have gone ER as she does as they Do something anyway. Think this was a new NP here and its hard to Explain this pain in leg right, and she said no blood clot but What is it then? But she didn't send me for anything, just said to take Aleve and try putting feet up:) Ahhhh, I don't like taking that stuff and I did the last times but it didn't work on this pain. She said probably coiled like veins in back there, well, can you take a pic so I know their not tangled maybe with a nerve, for this kind of pain? But nothing done so I feel like it was a waste. Next time its ER if this keeps on paining as when I get called in, I want to be able to jump out of bed and get ready and not be able to even step on leg then. So a hissy fit it is:)
N.N called this morning early and told Dh to bring him to ER as he couldn't move and his leg. Was told arthritis and he couldn't stay a night like last time:) Dh brought him home and he was hungry again. They guy sits on his leg on couch and he has a new hip and is 300+ lbs. and at 74, you just don't do that anymore! I know I can't even bend leg to do that! And if I did, I can forget about that leg working anymore :wowzer: So, it rained when I got home later and just feel disappointed with the whole day :? It takes a lot for me to go to a Dr. or hospital and then this :(
So hope you all have a good night and Sue, hope tonight is better for you also to sleep. Maybe I'll wake up and new leg:) Night all :wave:
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Morning ladies,

A full dusting day of cleaning knick-knicks and the whole kit and kaboodle....so off to eat and get started.

Have a nice day,

Sue
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Oh, YAH, I'm so sorry about your NP experience. How did she know it's not a blood clot, I wonder? It does sound like you might have to go the ER, at least there they will run tests. I am sending tons of hugs, because I know painful it must be for you to have gone to the walk-in. I do hope you woke up with a new leg!

Cute on the hissy fit, Sue. Not style, but I'm sure it's kind of fun to throw one!

Lots to do now that I've made the mess from the mudroom, so I'd better get back to it.

Have a great day, everyone~
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Oh YAH so sorry about the leg and N.N. too....I had say to you about it all in email. Glad you enjoyed the hissy fit.

Molasses, I don't have them often, once in a blue moon and usually because of something stupid I did or one of the incompetents did LOL

Well off to the nap time routine,

Sue
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would presume the person didn't diagnose a blood clot as often blood clots cause a purple colour to emerge where the clot is.

If it was a clot they are a mixture of platelets and fibrin. The same two things that cause scabs. Platelets form the sticky lower layer and the fibrin, a blood protein, creates a mesh like layer out of things called fibrils and these two things cause a clot, but as the fibrin is a blood protein getting rid of clots can be done with a protease, a protein digesting enzyme, one such enzyme I've heard of in conjunction to clot dispersal is plasmin, as it breaks down the fibrin, leaving just platelets.

Clots could be a thrombus which are static clots, or an embolism where the clot starts off somewhere else and is shunted around the body and settles elsewhere.

Obviously I have no idea what is bothering you YAH, but if it's not a clot then it's a possibility it is a nervous problem of some kind, as were it a muscular problem, some muscle problems have severe bruising attached, if the muscle is torn, but if it is strained then maybe no bruising has shown, although sometimes injuries that can cause inflammation don't and inflammation encourages healing processes, so some people undergo something called the Graston technique to encourage the inflammation.

As it's a leg it could mean it's a problem with the piriformis, obturator internus, inferior or superior gamellus tendons that connect to the hip joint, or it could be the posterior cruciate, anterior cruciate or lateral or medial collegiates, or a patella tendon issue, but those last five things would affect knee mobility and / or knee joint stability, as would the meniscii, were it the medial or lateral meniscus being strained or torn in some way.

If it is a cartilage issue, it might be early stage osteoarthritis, unless it's just a bit of damage to the cartilage and not cartilage wearing away.

If you had any bursitis in the hip, inflammation of any hip bursa that might be it.

If you have done a lot of running and you have knee pain coupled with a grating sensation, it could be Patelofemoral syndrome a.k.a housemaids knee, a.k.a, secreteries knee, a.k.a runners knee, a.k.a chondro malacia patellae, which is Greek as chondro relates to cartilage and malacia refers to softening or degradation and this can occur through excessive running or cardio effects around the knee, or by sitting with the backs of the knees often in an acute position, known as the theatre position, because some theatres have the backs of seats too close to the knees of the people behind, so therefore if someone has a job that often requires a tight and tense knee position, like some secretaries for example, or kneeling a lot like a housemaid used to to clean floors, this could exacerbate the risk of PFS and one or two people on here in the past have had PFS and rest of the legs from strenuous use, NSAIDS and strengthening exercises for the quads and hamstrings, could possibly help to alleviate this issue.

The problem can create a grating sound and it results from cartilage being allowed to slip towards the lateral, outside, edge of the knee.

Some of the above suggestions might relate to your situation, but these are just some possibilities for your concerns, as I am using self education for these assumptions, not knowledge based on qualifications which I must stress.

I hope you get this issues sorted soon. GOOD LUCK and please do keep us updated and try not to let these things affect you too much and if you can do any kin of exercise at all, try to do that for your own well being and sanity :).
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Lots of good information there, Boss Man! dad had deep vein thrombosis--he went to the dr because of pain in his calf, and was sent to the ER for an ultrasound and diagnosed that way. There was no bruising or even noticeably warmer skin, which I understand is another symptom of clots. So I'm skeptical that YAH's nurse practitioner could rule out a clot without doing any sort of testing, but I could certainly be wrong; maybe the location of the pain is a distinguishing factor.

Just do pursue it if it keeps bothering you, please, YAH. I know how you hate to go to the doctor, but I worry about you.

Oh, hissy away, Sue, if it makes you feel better! :D According to aunt, I had one when I was 4 and we were in Woolworth's and she wouldn't buy me one of those big swirly lollypops because it was made in China. She was trying to talk me into a good old American Hershey bar instead. Apparently I was crying and yelling and stomping feet and she was trying not to laugh. She said she knew I'd never have dared try that routine on mom, and she was right! I wouldn't have gotten as far as "hiss" with mom before I'd have been out in the car with a sore bottom! :tongue:

Sweet dreams, everyone!
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Morning ladies,

As Molasses said, Bossman, a lot of wonderful information and like Molasses one of uncles had those same issues.

Oh Molasses, I haven't had a "hissy fit" in years and as a kid well apparently I had one in King Kullen Grocery store when I was young and was on the floor yelling and kicking and screaming and mother gave me something to cry about as she picked me up, put her over knee and paddled behind....and all the moms in the stores clapped and I shut up and behaved...today they would have called a social service worker. I learned NOT to behave like that in a store and even if I did something like that at home you got hit and/or punished. However, we learned between right and wrong and how to behave....unlike the kids today...

YAH, I too, as I have said to you, am worried about you and hope you can get some tests done.

Well I am off to get mail checked and the day started.

Have a nice day,

Sue
young at heart
HIGH FLYER

Post by young at heart »

Good day all! Nice sunny day here and I do have the sauna going so maybe that will help:) Kind of too nice a day for it and might be rainy tomorrow but can't wait for it. thanks for the good wishes and I don't know when I'll go ER. If it gets worse when I work, I will have to go. I thought also that I would get something tested or ? but nope. Its so hard to describe this kind of pain. And Bossman, I didn't hit leg or anything lately at all so not sure of why. But I will have to reread your reply for sure!:) Not sure I understand it all but I will try:) Thanks for putting it down anyway.
Mo, yes, pain goes up calf in back and sometimes seems to be going up and over back of knee also. And around the knee feels painful too. I try to walk with that leg kind of straight and keep it stiff until I'm moving the other leg so that works to get around better. Sometimes not so bad but then I haven't been to work this week either. Although when it got really bad to even step on the foot, I wasn't working either so....
Gosh it seems like your son just went into the service Mo! Glad he's not reenlisting:) Are you going to have any fur kids left? How is your dad doing now? Enjoy your hanging bars:)
Sue, have a good day and hoping you had some good sleep also and no pain too. I know, it took a while for me to even go to the walk in clinic so I am very disappointed with the outcome of that! She didn't do much but feel it but as Mo says, maybe it doesn't feel hot always or turn color or? She just said about it seems like a coiled? or? vein bunch? Well, you'd think they would like to take a Doppler to see if blood is pooling or running ok? Just hate that nothing was tested so I will see about it again, sometimes.
Hope you all have a good weather day also and Bama, I know your probably busy with the kids as soon you go back to Bama also? And I know Angii has had a few weeks of really running around too. Take care and C U! :coffee: :wave:
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Afternoon ladies,

Oh YAH so glad to hear you got in a sauna today....and hoping too it helps. Yes had a very good night's sleep for once and was doing well till while making the bed pulled out something in back....so in a lot of pain now. You and are two peas in a pod lately...but I couldn't have better company and I know mine will subside and I am with you...not happy about no tests. As we don't have any "great love of doctors" it takes us some to go.

Oh poor Angii had to deal with racing and truck issues and a whole bunch of other stuff but things worked out thank goodness.

Well I am off to get some "stuff done".

Sue
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Morning ladies,

Feel better this a.m., with another faux Nuprin and sleep.

Or we can do Image

Wishing everyone a nice weekend...

Well off to eat, workout and cook!

Sue
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Glad you are feeling better today, Sue, and hope you are, too, YAH!

Cute little kittens there, Sue. :) What are you cooking? ("Hey, there, good lookin', whatcha got cookin', how's about cookin' something up with me? I got a hot rod Ford and a two dollar bill, and I know a place right over the hill. . . ." Anybody else a Hank Williams Sr. fan? :D )

Glad you got a sauna in, YAH!

Our weather was miserable Wed. and Thurs. but the humidity has lessened enough that today's 86 doesn't feel too bad. I've got laundry out and will need to water in the garden tonight, so am getting some fresh air. I am not going to be able to the mudroom floor--the subfloor is soft and rotten at least a few inches back from the door and I'm not skilled with the circular saw, so that will be best left to a handyman. Oh, the joys of home ownership. :tonguepoke:

Wishing everyone a happy Friday and a great weekend!