How much is too much?

Laugh about, live and enjoy being over 50, or talk about those over 50 even if you're not, because aging doesn't have to be a chore.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Eleuthera
STARTING OUT

How much is too much?

Post by Eleuthera »

I'm almost 52 and having stopped full time work I decided to get back into shape 6 months ago. I gym 3 times a week, once with a PT. I also do two sessions of Body Combat and one of Zumba and some swimming. PT is suggesting I add boot camp with her for another hour before or after body combat. I'm not sure I can physically do it, and secondly I'm worried about injury. I'm dedicated to getting fitter but I'm overweight and twice as old as most of the other people there...if I want to still be doing this at 60 should I pace myself or just go for it? I'm asking here in the hope there are some older people with experience. PT is lovely, and has really helped me but she is young and I don't think she knows what I'm experiencing.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How much is too much?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Eluthera, good to talk to you.

Definitely don't do as suggested, as I think it is too much and I think it would be even if you were 30 years younger.

If you wanted to do the boot camp thing, definitely don't do it on the same day as something else, do it on a different day, as two sessions of cardiovascular exercise in one day at any age, is a bit much to me and you'd be best off avoiding such a strategy.
Eleuthera
STARTING OUT

Post by Eleuthera »

Thanks, I think you are right. PT has really worked wonders and so I listen to what she says but this time I'm going to say no. I did do some weeks of HIT before zumba, but I'm not convinced it did me any good. What seems to work for me is strength training days in the gym, the combat for cardio and zumba and swimming for a relaxing tone up. gym is big into HIT stuff, but I'm not bothered about calorie burning, I want to build muscle and skeletal strength. I will summon up courage and have a word, although I'll wait until after the next PT session, never pays to piss off the trainer before you start.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Being a trainer, I just want to say that your trainer is probably not going to be upset by your decision to take it a little slower. I'm a fan of HIIT myself (and older than you are), but it's not suitable for everyone, particularly in a class setting where you are less likely to get individual attention towards modifying.

I encourage clients to listen to their bodies, and progress slowly. Taking a long term perspective is definitely smart! :thumb:
RichardSmith
STARTING OUT

Post by RichardSmith »

Sounds like your schedule makes you one busy person, this regime will keep up your fitness levels and build on them. Don't worry that you do too much your body will keep you right, and certainly I wouldn't worry about age that's just a number, good luck
betterhealthyliving
STARTING OUT

Post by betterhealthyliving »

As someone else said, age is just a number but i sometimes feel we(over 50's)have a tendency to try to make up for the "lost" years by rushing full tilt into a new health regime, A steady build towards achievable goals would be more beneficial long term. That being said if you feel good within yourself then the sky's the limit.