Exercise bike question

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jenny73
STARTING OUT

Exercise bike question

Post by jenny73 »

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and also new to the gym - well, this time around!

I've been going to the gym on and off for the last 20 years but started properly again about a month ago.

I have a question concerning the cardio I do on the exercise bike...

I tend to do 10-12 minutes, then weights, then 20 minutes, then weights, then 20 minutes
OR
10-12 minutes, weights, 40 minutes.

Well, that is the aim, I tend to switch each day. However, I get pins and needles really bad after about 15 minutes in feet. It's really frustrating as I often have to stop, stretch etc. and then get back on again. I don't remember this happening years ago?
Am I doing something wrong?

The bike is a recliner, not an upright one.

Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Exercise bike question

Post by Boss Man »

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but would it be possible to do the weights in one go, then the Cardio afterwards?

If you use a mixture of free weights, mostly lying down and seated stuff, with a bit of machine work if you like, you'll not be on your feet that much.

Hopefully the issue(s) you experience might be alieviated this way :).
jenny73
STARTING OUT

Post by jenny73 »

I try to do that every other time but because of the pins and needles issue, I feel like I have to split it all up.

To be honest, I almost prefer splitting it but do know that 40-45 mins on the bike in one go is a good thing to do.
Unfortunately, I'm not yet fit enough to do 20 minutes running or stepper etc. so am sticking with the bike for the time being.

It's just a bit frustrating to be honest.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

40-45 minutes exercise bike work is not excessive, but I'd limit to 2-3 times a week, as the major priority could be weights.

Building muscle is metabolic and an extra lb of muscle can burn an extra 45-50 calories, so coupled with a good calorie regime, you wouldn't need to emphasise Cardio too much. It wouldn't be productive for muscle building anyway, as it can burn muscle in excessive amounts.
Nubianspirit2
STARTING OUT

Post by Nubianspirit2 »

Hold on Boss Man!! Are you saying that doing too much cardio is counter productive to weight training?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, because too much Cardio can potentially cause fatigue, overtraining and muscle burning, all of which won't help you when you lift weights and try to build muscle.

There's always too much of a good thing.
Michealleo
STARTING OUT

Post by Michealleo »

Hi ur doing fine friend . I also go for cycling for fitness of legs muscles . Because i am not playing with weights and i dont go for gym that's why i do more cardio exercises like swimming and running too . And these exercsies are really working fine for me .
jmvane15
STARTING OUT

Post by jmvane15 »

Are you stretching well enough before each workout. I think it would be best if you kept cardio and weights separated.