newbie looking for a good cardio exercise

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

annakarenina
STARTING OUT

newbie looking for a good cardio exercise

Post by annakarenina »

Hi! I am a newbie here, I am, 39 years old, 5ft. 4in. and I currently weigh 200 lbs, I have already lost 4 lbs over the past month thru diet and walking. But lately, ankles are getting sore from too much walking. I am desperate to lose weight, but I don't know what else to do to lose it :? I am targeting a weight of at least 160lbs by December.

I am thinking of using an ankle support and resort to jogging 2 times a week and swimming once a week, can anyone suggest something else? :D Thank you guys!
Nokie173
VETERAN

Re: newbie looking for a good cardio exercise

Post by Nokie173 »

Good job… 4lbs is good to start with!!!

I really like the swimming idea since it would workout your whole body!!! How about a stationary bike? Try stretching before and after your workout.
Main thing is diet. What are your meals like and what time you eat?
david4pointpt
STARTING OUT

Post by david4pointpt »

I like to add boxing and kicking into clients routines. If you have someone to hold a stability ball or focus pads start with those. You can purchase a cheap pair of boxing gloves and start with 1-3 minute rounds. Mix up the punching and kicking.

If you don't have anyone to hold the ball or pads then you can purchase a reflex bag or punching bag. Or just shadow box in the mirror. As long as you are moving you burn calories. The faster you move the more you burn.

If you are on a budget take a tennis ball and either screw or tape a string to it. Tie the string to the ceiling and push the ball forwards, move around the ball and don't let it hit you.

Your main focus should be proper nutrition to lose weight, cardio speeds up the process. Also good for the heart.

More exercise and nutrition tips can be found here http://gymsinsanantonio.com/

Exercise equipment like the reflex bag can be found here http://homegymdesigner.com/fitness-equipment/
jmvane15
STARTING OUT

Post by jmvane15 »

You should definitely do swimming. It's one of the best cardio exercises. Actually, it's one of the best exercises, period. It works your whole body, all the while giving you a cardio workout.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Peoples bodies could however adapt to it making the efficacy less.

This could be avoided with some simple adaptations.

1. Change the cadence and / or stroke every week.

2. Change the cadence and / or stroke every session.

3. Change the cadence and / or stroke every width / length.

Any one of these should permit the effects of swimming, to last in as beneficial a way as possible :).
marinovich
STARTING OUT

Post by marinovich »

Great job setting that goal and believe in yourself enough to reach it! I completely understand how ankles legs etc get soar and achey and prevents you from actually wanting to get out there and work out. The pool is great for low impact training as well as stability ball training to ease impact on the joints etc. I suggest doing nervous system training in the pool instead of spending an hour, only need 10-15 min. Another great way is using the stability ball to do REHITS and nervous system traning to ease the impact on joints and will see results much faster then sticking to the same routine ie. weights, running, pool.

Mikhail Marinovich
http://www.Marinofit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FitnessExpert7
STARTING OUT

Post by FitnessExpert7 »

There are many excellent cardio exercises that will get you in great shape fast. Swimming, HIIT running, sprints, running up hills and cycling are all great cardio exercises!
edhezlet
STARTING OUT

Post by edhezlet »

Rowing can be really good- it burns a lot of calories because you have to utilise loads of different muscle groups.

However it is pretty key to make sure your technique is good, otherwise you could get back pain etc- good video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqVmMd7FdAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luzwayt10pds
STARTING OUT

Post by luzwayt10pds »

Recently I saw a posthttp://eatdrinkbreathedaily.blogspot.com/ that gave some good tips on improving your cardio techniques.
I found the method of taking it slow and easy to be very helpful especially if you have not been working out for a long time. You will get better over time.
To be consistent is the best form of practice. You dont want to start something and then quit after one month or two. So light exercise done daily is better.
So try some simple breathing exercise which you can do daily.
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

Here where I'm from, the city where I go to school has a fitness center that is affiliated with the hospital. You have to have a doctor write like a permission slip for you, but they have a pool with stationary bikes and stuff in the water. It is basically a physical therapy center, but they call it aquatherapy. I thought it sounded really nice and looked into it for mom after her knee surgery.
Another thing I noticed nobody mentioned is a wonderful supplement called msm. I don't advise taking the msm multi with other vitamins added to it. Just get plain old msm in 1000 mg caplets. I'm young but I have trouble with knees getting sore sometimes as well as wrists and other joints. I work in 30 degree temperatures all day, which doesn't help. I figure I am just one of those people destined to get arthritis down the road. Anyway, I stumbled onto msm. It really helps the stiffness and bones cracking. I would start out at 2 1000mg caplets twice a day and see it that doesn't help after 2 weeks. Now I just take 2 caplets a day.
You also may be wearing poor shoes. Try looking up your local foot doctors in the phone book and ask if any of them also sell shoes. Sounds odd, but I go to a shoe store that is in the pediatrist's office. I don't need to see the doc or have an appointment, the retail people there are just very knowledgeable and help me get the perfect shoe. I won't go anywhere else.
InchByInch
STARTING OUT

Post by InchByInch »

Using a stationary bike or elliptical machine will help reduce the impact on your ankles. You can also do slight inclines to minimize the amount of impact. Another great way to move forward on your cardio is to swim. chiropractor emphasis on the advantage of swimming. No impact on your joints.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

Considering that your ankles become sore from walking, swimming would probably be best for you because it is gentle on the joints.
olyviamcintire
STARTING OUT

Post by olyviamcintire »

Hey there! I know something that I'm sure you would really enjoy! Its called thecardioboss APP. This APP is great for someone who is just starting out and wants some good cardio programs! Very fun and innovative! When you get this APP it comes with 10 cardio programs and you can chose from all of them and then every month there is an additional 2 more programs that are added onto it! Its great for someone who is just starting out. I definitely recommend it! :)
chempe
STARTING OUT

Post by chempe »

• Run
    Hike
    Bike
    Swim
    Jumping Jacks
    HIIT
    Raquet Ball
    Tennis
    Skateboarding
Really you can do anything that gets you moving. Make it fun, it doesn't have to be an actually "workout." :D
Last edited by chempe on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chempe
STARTING OUT

Post by chempe »

There are also some sites that provide a million different ideas.