low intensity cardio workout for 50 year old?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

miketen
STARTING OUT

low intensity cardio workout for 50 year old?

Post by miketen »

Hello all, not sure I came to the right place judging by the name of this site :) so if not please excuse this? I am turning 51 this year, job is a desk job from home [home based business] I have minor arthritis issues and I am asking and looking around the net for a quick cardio workout just to work mainly heart to stay a little fit which will suit needs so if I can ask a few questions, let me itemize them for uniformity please?

1] Is it still accurate that a person needs to exercise continuosly for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times per week to get good benefits for the heart? Reason I wish to confirm this is becuase I don't know what new research shows on this.

2] So I am seeking some low intensity type workout which I can do in the comfort of home 3 times per week and due to work demands the shorter the workout the better, any program out there anyone can recommend for situation please?

3] Unfortunately I lose interest very quickly jumping rope, doing push ups, treadmill e.tc I would very much prefer aerobics or even kickboxing or MMA type workouts where I can work entire body but I don't know if there is any scaled down version on video for these?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: low intensity cardio workout for 50 year old?

Post by Boss Man »

1. Yes at least 30 minutes x 3.

2. I don't know of anything specific, but try searching this site for something I've posted several times before, based on a 3 times week principle, using bodyweighted movements that includes exercises like squats, lunges and shrugs.

3. Realistically you may very well need a gym for that sort of thing, unless you do something like Tai bo at home.

Hopefully that helps to some degree.

Good luck and anything else you would like to ask on this or any other issue, please feel free :).
miketen
STARTING OUT

Post by miketen »

Thank you very much Boss man! Following your lead, I looked into Tae bo by Billy Blanks, defintiely looks like something for me so I will pursue that further and try to get his level 1 dvd but have to ask judging from what I am seeing in his youtube videos, there are times he's standing still while working his arms which really looks more like a stretching exercise as in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dTApo0gkdY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

question to this is would you still be working your heart effectively during this aspect of cardio training or do you need to be "continuosly" moving your entire body like in aerobics class to get real cardio benefits?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You'd work effectively, so don't worry about that.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

I think you're a little too worried. Continue your fitness routine. If exercising for 30 minutes at once is too inconvenient on some days, break that up into exercising for periods of five to ten minutes throughout the day. Anything you can do here and there adds up.