Running on flat ground or running in Canyon

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

kadao
STARTING OUT

Running on flat ground or running in Canyon

Post by kadao »

I have been running on a flat running track. Recently started running on a hilly track/canyon. Is it safe for Knees to run in the hills. I could run up to 6 miles on a track but in a canyon, running uphill is a difficult task :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Running on flat ground or running in Canyon

Post by Boss Man »

I think running in the hills should be fine as long as you're using the right footwear and you're being careful where you choose to run.
kadao
STARTING OUT

Post by kadao »

Thanks. Does running down hill put more pressure on knees than uphill? May be I should run uphill and walk back downhill.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

In opinion, running downhill can be harder on your body than running uphill. Uphill running you are mostly on your forefoot leaning in to the run, whereas on the downhill you tend to strike the ground with the heel first, braking with gravity pulling you down. It is harder to control than running uphill. Just be careful when running downhill to control speed.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd agree. Downhill running allows for too much abandon, whereas running uphill is a limiting thing, because you can only attack the slope with so much power and momentum.

Downhill running allows for, as stated, too much abandon and potential exuberance and whereas an uphill slope is more self-regulating, by limiting what you can physically do, downhill slopes can allow you too much potential control of your own destiny, which could obviously lead to things like excessive running or an over zealous cadence, which in turn could lead to falling, tumbling and any number of physical repercussions, resulting from the uncontrollable loss of balance.

However as long as you're mindful of the pitfalls of a downhill slope, then running downhill needn't be a no-no and also the gradient of the slope has a bearing to some extent, so if you're concerned then choose a course to run that includes moderate slopes and / or ones with not too much length.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Running downhill increasing the foot strike force, so that makes it harder on all your joints. If you gradually add distance and follow the other great advice you received you'll be fine. Personally, I only run hills once or twice a week, I like to vary runs with longer days as well as speed days.
Best,
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kadao
STARTING OUT

Post by kadao »

Thanks all for the response. Will follow the advice. Using knee protection guard really helped me a lot to reduce the fatigue in the knee.
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

Go ahead and continue running on both flat ground and hilly terrain but do so in moderation. Also, if you happen to feel any pain or discomfort in your knees, feet or ankles, cut back and opt for brisk walking.