gaining inches WITH great cardio

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Peepers69
STARTING OUT

gaining inches WITH great cardio

Post by Peepers69 »

:( Hi everyone
this is very first post and I'm really hoping I can get some great answers! I'm feeling really discouraged...unfortunately. I have been doing a great deal of cardio lately....really over the last 8 weeks. Two days this week I walked a total of 18 miles on treadmill...the next day jogged 3 miles...today rode 20 miles on stationary bike. I took measurements this morning and have lost inches everywhere EXCEPT the one place I need to.. legs! I have gained 1 and 1/2 inches there. I don't know how this is possible with all the cardio..? could it be that I'm doing too much? should I not do an incline or added resistance? I would be so happy if someone could guide me in the right direction..just feel defeated. thanks :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: gaining inches WITH great cardio

Post by Boss Man »

The incline and added resistance might have caused the outcome, if you were effectively creating some kind of muscle building scenario.

Plus if you've altered your diet recently, maybe you've upped salt intake without knowing it. Excess salt can lead to higher blood pressure. water retention and excess fluid in the legs, (edema).

Maybe this could be related to a much higher intake of water as well, than was previously consumed.

It may also be the ase there is some medical anomelie which is causing some kind of weight or size increase in the lower body.

So you may want ot be mindful of that just incase.

What foods do you eat and what times do you eat them?
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

I would bet it's water retention as Boss Man suggested. Often when you begin exercising muscles will swell because of increased muscle nutrition (muscle glycogen) also known as muscle tone. You will see this before you see the fat loss which takes longer and in turn will reduce the girth. I suggest cutting carbs further to stimulate faster fat burning.
Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

You have likely gained a little muscle mass. If your legs are stronger and more muscular from exercising them, you have nothing to worry about.