Question About Change in Performance

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mikethethethe
STARTING OUT

Question About Change in Performance

Post by mikethethethe »

I'm hoping someone can answer a question about how performance dropped so dramatically from one week to another on the same test.

For the test, you wear a thirty pound weight vest and run serpentine sprints for 300 feet, climb a five foot wall, run up some steps and through a window, drag a 180 pound dummy twenty-five feet and back, then sprint another 75 feet. The max time is around two and a half minutes.

A week ago I took the practice test, which I didn't push myself on, and finished in 2:29 without feeling winded. I took the test again today, and it felt twice as difficult from the beginning. By the time I got over the wall legs were like jello, and on the dummy drag I actually fell over on the first try, and then fell over again sprinting to the finish line after the dummy drag. I finished in 2:37. At the end I had a splitting headache, felt like I was going to throw up, and had to wait ten minutes for legs to recover enough to drive.

Between last week and this week, I did sprints in a weighted vest and some body weight exercises early in the week, and then took it easy for the three days before the test. I ate a lot of pasta last night, and I've been eating lots of protein all week. What could be the explanation for how different performance was, or even more perplexing - how difficult the test felt?