Sudden nausea

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

nayoberry
STARTING OUT

Sudden nausea

Post by nayoberry »

Hi,

I'm female, and 16 years old this year.

I have consistently been doing a workout programme (circuit) for 7 weeks now. From week 5-8 the exercises have increased in intensity. In week 6 I trained legs via circuit training on Wednesday and had a bad ache all the way till week 7 Tuesday. While having the ache, I went to run on Thursday and continued with circuit training (for arms and abs) on Saturday and Sunday. Both sets of circuit training involved light leg exercises (squats, snap jumps, skipping, etc.) and I ran on Sunday as well (all runs are 2.4km at a rather slow pace). On week 7 Thursday I resumed with leg circuit training (easier than training in week 6) but heartbeat was extremely fast and I experienced nausea and dizziness. I realised that muscle endurance was lower and I felt weaker as a whole. ears got blocked and I was forced to stop. I took 2 days' break and today (Sunday), I did arms circuit and realised I got dizzy as well. I pushed through and took about 1hr (plus food) before I felt better.

May I know what's wrong with me? Please help!

(P.S. Doubt it's dehydration because I drink the same amount of water between breaks from week 1 all the way till now, hydrated rather sufficiently)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Sudden nausea

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Nayo, good to talk to you.

Firstly I wanted to tell you I'm proud of you for looking after yourself as many people your age often start going down a wrong path and do things that could cause bad outcomes in the future.

Secondly, I'd like to ask a few questions

1. Have you changed your diet at all recently and if so what did you do?

2. Are are you training before you eat or after you eat?

3. Have you recently taken any medicines, that may have coincided with taking new or existing supplements and by supplements I mean anything you don't consume at meals like fat burners, multi-vits, protein powders etc.
nayoberry
STARTING OUT

Post by nayoberry »

Hello,

Thank you for responding.

1. diet in week 6 didn't change at all. In week 7, due to the Chinese New Year celebrations, I've had more snacks and less proper meals (as I cut out meals since I ate snacks, didn't want too much calories in)

2. Usually I train before I eat dinner. (I've eaten lunch about 6 hours before workout) However, there are some instances where i train 1h after dinner. In this case, week 7 Thurs when I trained legs, I did not eat lunch but I ate quite a bit of snacks (so I should at least have some carbs in system). However, on week 7 Sunday (arbs and abs cardio), when I experienced nausea, I've had lunch at about 12.00pm and started training at 7.00pm. This is rather normal and most days are as such.

3. Nope no supplements
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think we have discovered the potential reason for your problems.

You ate 7 hours before workouts and may have decreased calories owing to the chinese new year and altering your eating habits.

Had you had a goodly mix of protein and carbs with 1-2 hours of the workouts, you could very well have been okay, as your blood sugar may have been dropping because your carb intake from 12PM, would have been used up 3-4 hours later, so that's 3-4 hours afterwards of not maintaining blood sugar levels.

Training on empty I:E training first thing in the morning without eating, has been known to cause people dizzy spells and you causing a potential blood sugar drop for 3-4 hours, could have replicated the same circumstances.

That's why it is important if you train around 6-7 PM, to get a decent meal in around 3-4 PM, so the gap between lunch and dinner is not excessive. Around 200-300 calories should be fine, but definitely get 30%-40% of the calories from carbs in particular, then eat within 30-60 minutes after the workout.