BMP to Calories Burned

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Ciarán12
STARTING OUT

BMP to Calories Burned

Post by Ciarán12 »

Hi,

I'm completely new here, so if I'm posting in the wrong place I'm sorry.

I just bought a blood pressure monitor (which also gives your BMP), I measured resting rate at 70 BPM and I was wondering if there is an accurate way to calculate calories burned based on knowing the average BMP during a given exercise period.

Basically, I have a mini exercise bike which tells me how many calories I have burned while cycling it. But as it is pretty low-tech I doubt the bikes "computer" is particularly accurate, so I'm trying to get a different measurement to see how it compares. I cycle the bike continuously for hours every day (I work from home so I just cycle while I work... I'm cycling it right now!). The bike says I burn around 2000 calories a day on it (over the course of about 6 to 8 hours), I am trying to take periodic heart rate measurements to see how far above normal resting rate I am on average while I cycle and see if there's a way I can corroborate the bike's calorie measurement with the heart rate monitor.

Any help here would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: BMP to Calories Burned

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ciaran, good to talk to you and no need to apologise for anything.

To be frank electronic workout monitors and heart rate monitors are just a guide and one manufacturers product may be different or similar to someone elses.

BPM on the heart rate monitor may correlate to the one on an exercise machine, but it may just be a fluke rather than continuity of readings and you've got no way of knowing really.

The main thing is just to monitor your situation regarding your physical goals and see how close to them you can continue to get.
Ciarán12
STARTING OUT

Post by Ciarán12 »

Hi Boss Man,

Thank you so much! Also, in your opinion, do you think the set up I've got going could be (reasonably) accurate? By which I mean, impressionistically, do you think it seems feasible to be burning off 2000 (or even 3000) extra calories a day by doing constant light cycling? The cycling is never really intense enough to make me break a sweat of get out of breath, but I'm doing it for most of waking hours (and when I'm not it's because I've gone out for a walk).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Possibly yes, but you don't really need to do that much. If you worked off what an electronic monitor says is around 300-400 at once, you'd be fine with that, as there is a possibility you could be doing too much anyway.