Balance of Cardio & Strength Training TIPS

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ScottRS
STARTING OUT

Balance of Cardio & Strength Training TIPS

Post by ScottRS »

I am brand new to this forum, and I have a question for those of you who can offer me some insight.

I've been a runner.
I've been a weight lifter.

And lately I've been cycling.

I find that I can build chest and arms quite well with weight training. But that torso area really takes a "hit" if we don't do cardio. How obvious :)! So lately what I'm finding is that while I am having some good (slow motion) success in the waist department, chest is now shrinking.

SO? I know it's a "classic, timeless" question ~ how do you balance these two?
I'd like to have a chiseled chest with some definition, but not gain fat. I'd like to have a trim waist, but not "look" like a runner necessarily (no offense intended.) I find that losing waist is much harder for me than gaining pecs.

I'm sure some of this will involve dietary intake as well.
Please answer away! I'm all ears and heart and mind on this. I'd love to hear what you've got.

BTW - i don't want to look like a football linebacker OR a long distance runner (again, no offense!)

I'm truly looking for balance.

Thanks!
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Re: Balance of Cardio & Strength Training TIPS

Post by fat-to-fit »

i don't know any advice for you.

But you might like this video series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdVHwaigY9Y&t=9s

kris gethin who i really don't know who he is except this video. he is training to do an ironman and build muscle at that the same time. Kind of a interesting video series.
ScottRS
STARTING OUT

Post by ScottRS »

Thanks, fat-to-fit! I'll check it out!
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Try lifting weights 4-5 days a week and doing HIIT twice a week e.g. 15 minutes of high intensity intervals. I've found that when I lift heavy and eat maintenance calories, I am able to improve strength and get leaner :) Of course this will vary between individuals, so it might just take a bit of experimentation.
JaneyJ
STARTING OUT

Post by JaneyJ »

I think the answer here is to build up your chest just like everybody else. With chest exercise like bench press.
Vegas Jon
STARTING OUT

Post by Vegas Jon »

I'm not sure i get exactly what your goal is, but if it is aerobic endurance and strength/muscle that is definitely possible. Squatting at 70%+ of your max for reps is an amazing way to build both muscle and that aerobic capacity. Also keep in mind HIIT and intense cardio is much harder to recover from so if you are already strength training in the above fashion, stick to low-intensity cardio for health/weight maintenance reasons.