will losing weight increase swimming time?

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fat-to-fit
REGULAR

will losing weight increase swimming time?

Post by fat-to-fit »

i haven't been able to find this out.

I know losing weight will definitely increase running and biking time.

But what about swimming? fat is suppose to make you more bouyant but of course it also is more work to swim with a lot of weight. would it increase your swim time much more to lose weight?
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Re: will losing weight increase swimming time?

Post by fat-to-fit »

forget it i found some links.

swimming is more about technique too. and from what people said they seemed to think in sprint it wouldn't be as much of a difference versus long distance. also different strokes might be less improved than others.

one guy said this.
two bits are:

Form drag is proportional to your forward facing profile so basically to your girth at its largest point. If you have extra weight distributed evenly so your maximum girth isn't that much larger you are better off than having all your weight concentrated at your stomach. Weight concentrated in your stomach is also a greater health risk.

I think that the velocity profiles posted by Budd Termin do a pretty good job of disproving that you only accelerate off the start and walls, there's a fair bit of acceleration in each stroke cycle.

Looking at the example with the velocity curve after the push off you get a pretty good idea of which wins when drag meets inertia.