Worried about overtraining? any experiences would be apprisiated

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Osmundsen
STARTING OUT

Worried about overtraining? any experiences would be apprisiated

Post by Osmundsen »

I love to work out i do bjj 5 days a week (two hours classes), i also do yoga everyday, and run, swim and some but not a lot of weight lifting. I work out on average from 12-16 hours per week. I guess of those ten of those hours are what I consider “hard workouts”, I consider activities like yoga and swimming restitution training. To prevent over training I do intermitten fasting and sauna 2-3 times a week. I only eat healty clean and solid food. LOTS of greens, eggs, beef, chicken and salmon. I don’t drink alcohol or have no desire to have “cheat meals” so I rarely do. Last time I had a candybar was In January I think. I have been gradualy working up to this for the past two years. Before that I was fat, lazy and unmotivated. I am 27 years old , with no health issues. But I am worried about if its healty what I am doing? I would love to work out even more, but everybody keeps telling me I sould calm down and that I am overtraining. But I feel good, and I do what I love to do. So I would like to keep doing it if its not unhealty? Any oppionons?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Worried about overtraining? any experiences would be apprisiated

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Osmundsen, good to speak with you.

Five days of training is not overdoing it, but it can be about the actual volume per workout.

I would not go over about 90 minutes per workout, as I don't think you need it. 90 minute max for the weights and separate cardio workouts around 30-45 minutes.
garygoberjr
STARTING OUT

Post by garygoberjr »

Brother I'm not gonna lie, I'm very new to the fitness world so please take input with a grain of salt. I have found an incredible amount of contradicting info on the web and it is very confusing. It seems like everyone has a dog in this fight for some reason because I have seen some HEATED debates about the amount of cardio you should be doing. On one hand, Joe Blow PHD down the street states that for weight loss you should do 45-60 minutes of cardio or HIIT(?) on at the end of your regular workout. On the other hand Susan Smith Instagram model says ditch the cardio and stick with resistance training. It's ridiculous how much info is out there.
rvn2590@yahoo.com
STARTING OUT

Post by rvn2590@yahoo.com »

Overtraining is a myth! What is called overtraining is under recovery. If a person is sleep deprived, not eating enough or the right foods, stressed from other life responsibilities they may feel fatigued. Also training errors i.e. high intensity all the time, lack of variety in training etc may lead to severe fatigue. Keep doing what you are doing just make sure you are recovering properly from workouts.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd politely disagree. Overtraining or "going stale" is symptomatic of lifestyle behaviours of course, such as lack of regenerative facets in the individuals life like inadequate nutrition or sleep, but I believe overtraining can occur when people do too much training when it's unneccessary.

Many people including those well versed in training mentalities go stale and need a week of training to become fresh again, which identifies that it is not just people over-exerting themselves in the early stages, that can succumb to overtraining, but also those well seasoned in the lifestyle.