Started Walking & Exercise... No Weight Loss

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Collegefbfan2015
STARTING OUT

Started Walking & Exercise... No Weight Loss

Post by Collegefbfan2015 »

Don’t want to make this a long post. 5 feet 9 inches. I have a 36 inch waist. Was 258 pounds couple years ago, did keto. Lost down to 217. Then cheated and I am at 230. I have been eating low carb. I walk about 11,000 steps at work each day. So, joined the gym And walk on treadmill for one hour, no lower than 3.6 miles per hour, and incline no lower than 7. I joined end of March. I went from 238 down to 226, then gained back at a constant 229. I weighed 230 this morning. diet is way better than before. I just want to lose this . legs and arms have decent size. I mean not fat. is the major fat problem. Any idea why I am walking at a decent speed and good incline? I walk 11,000 steps a day and put in 3.5 miles at the gym. Thanks for any help.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Started Walking & Exercise... No Weight Loss

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Cfbfan, good to talk to you.

One possible reason for your stuttering results, is that some types of exercise can become less efficacious to the body the more the body gets used to them. One such situation is when people do steady state cardio. If you are doing this you might want to think about switching the machine you use to an interval setting and see how you get on with that.

Also 1lb of added muscle can burn around 45-50 more calories a day, but conversely losing muscle could reduce metabolic efficacy, so if someone does too much cardio they could potentially burn muscle. if you're doing 3.5 miles a day, then you could be overdoing it. I would suggest you cut out a couple of days so that your body can rest I:E: 3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on 1, off.

Also you may think your diet is better, but one thing that can sabotage people is eating better food in the wrong portions. People can undereat good food leaving their body prone to not wanting to get rid of fat after a while.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Collegefbfan2015
STARTING OUT

Thanks for the reply. eating is not high in frequency or big in portions. I don't see how I can burn the calories I do at work and at the gym and gain weight. Meals are like: shake for breakfast that has a banana, coconut milk, collagen, protein powder, little all natural peanut butter. Lunch is usually a salad with a meat, or low carb wrap with mustard, turkey, and a salad. Supper is usually salmon, pork chop, or chicken, maybe a steak and squash or asparagus or brussels sprouts, may be cauliflower. Snacks are rare and they include 85% dark chocolate, or a can of herring, or an iced coffee (homemade no sugar). I don't use sugar. I haven't had a soft drink in 4 years.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, it looks like you're undereating.

Here are some snack options that might work for you like microwave soups, baked beans and rice dishes, oat granola's, ham, turkey, beef, pork and chicken from a packet, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurt, flax seeds, nuts, peanuts, fruits including tomatoes and cucumber, vegetables including pineapple, raw carrot and celery sticks, pre-boiled eggs, pre-cooked chicken breast and low fat yoghurt, nuts and peanuts, bread, sandwiches.

Some of those are actual snacks and some you would combine to make a snack, but I'm sure you'll work out which are which :).
Collegefbfan2015
STARTING OUT

I kind of figured maybe under eating. I have planned the items in a food journal to see. I always thought that burning more calories than you consume is the key to weight loss.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

it is a strategy yes, but you still need to eat an adeqaute amount of calories in the first place.
Collegefbfan2015
STARTING OUT

Well, the cool thing is I do have a gym membership and have been using it regularly. I have summers off due to being an educator. I am planning including more weight workouts along with the cardio this summer. The crazy thing is I went from 250 plus pounds down to 217 pounds doing keto and with absolutely no exercise. Now, I am exercising like crazy and doing low carb and can't get below 229 pounds to save life
ChristinaV
STARTING OUT

Post by ChristinaV »

Hi guys! I also run 5-7k 3 times a week mainly for weight loss. To be honest I can understand that I burn more calories but this results to eating more because I am much more hungry. I just try to eat low calorie meals and more protein.
I would also like to ask you if you think that the right shoes play an important role at the results of a cardio training. I am thinking of buying a new pair of running shoes and I am between those 2:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075ZY5P8D
https://www.scrooge.co.uk/s/1116502/Asi ... 6-020.html

Any reviews?
Thank you in advance