Cant run for more than 10 mins .... Leg muscles getting tired

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

aryan007
STARTING OUT

Cant run for more than 10 mins .... Leg muscles getting tired

Post by aryan007 »

Hi,
psychiatrist has asked me to do cardio to keep anxiety levels under control.
I have never done any form of cardio before this. I have done weight training all life.

Problem is I can't seem to run for more than 10 mins. Its not lungs which is the limiting
factor here instead its legs. Both calves & thighs (don't know the name of the muscle)
are getting tired.

Actually I am using a stopwatch to keep track of time. In the morning I am running for 5mins>>Rest>>5mins.
Same in the evening.
After that 10mins legs are so tired I can't continue.

While running I am feeling the same kind of "BURN" i used to feel while doing squats.

What do you guys suggest I do ? I want to run for at least 30 mins.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Cant run for more than 10 mins .... Leg muscles getting tired

Post by Boss Man »

You may be wise to consider increasing your carbs a little bit, so whatever you eat in the 1-2 meals prior to a run add 50% more of that carb source to those meals.

If you are trying to run on empty, don't do that, have something like a carb loaded protein shake, or something like a bit of chicken and a banana 30 minutes before a run as examples, to provide more energy and give you some protein to protect muscle mass and also having drinks like lucozade, powerade or gatorade when you run rather than water might help, but I would do both at once, try increasing your calories a bit and see if that works, as there may be no need to do both suggestions and isolating one of them will make it easier to ascertain effectiveness of the suggestion. Having some extra energy could be useful for what you're trying to do.

Another thing would be to gradually ease yourself in with a progressive running strategy.

So this might work

Split your run into 10x3 minute mini cycles 5x a week.

Week 1. Walk for 2 minutes 50, jog for 10 seconds. Do this 10 times in 30 minutes.

Week 2. Walk for 2 minutes 40, jog for 20 seconds. Do this 10 times in 30 minutes.

Week 3. Walk for 2 minutes 30, jog for 30 seconds. Do this 10 times in 30 minutes.

You can see a pattern emerging. If this works for you, you should eventually be able to jog for 30 minutes continuously without having to slow down to a walking pace at any point.

I would use a moderate pace and a flat course to begin with and then if you can get to the point where you're able to jog 30 minutes straight, then when you're at that level of capability you could increase the difficulty of the course, increase your average speed a bit or both.
aryan007
STARTING OUT

Re: Cant run for more than 10 mins .... Leg muscles getting tired

Post by aryan007 »

I did resistance training for more than 10 years of life. All I could think of was how to look bigger.
Now that very same thing has become an obstacle to cardio.
pecs, lats are very heavy. I can feel the muscle weight while running.
Now I wish I can find a way to lose the extra muscle mass. :oops: