H.I.I.T. Help

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bluebomber24
STARTING OUT

H.I.I.T. Help

Post by bluebomber24 »

I just started using the H.I.I.T. or High Intensity Interval Training program. After I warm-up, I do a run/jog session that lasts between 12-15 min. By the end I am exhausted and thoroughly revved up! I jog for 1 min. at 5mph and run at 7mph.

question is this: after about 6 min. heart rate stays elevated while I am jogging (which is supposed to be rest period). Should I jog longer to get heart rate down before I start running again to get heart back up to maximize the effectiveness of H.I.I.T? How important is to keep body guessing about what level of strain I am subjecting it to with the H.I.I.T. program?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

This may depend on what your doing it for, fat loss or actaul cardio benefits. If for cardio I would try and keep heart rate as high as i can for as long as i can. For fat loss i would alternate sprints as fast as i can with the slowest jogging recovery i could do. Even though your intensity has lowered considerably, your heart rate will still be elevated as it's still pumping blood to the muscle to wash lactic acid away. Basicaslly your giving your muscles a rest so they can keep going more so than heart rate. As for "level of strain" you can cycle easier workout with mod to hard intervals for longer duration with light to moderate intensity with hard as you can intervals for short periods with easy intensities for longer periods. Sample:

Session 1
60secs at 70 - 80% with 20secs 50 - 60% x 5 cycles

Session 2
10secs at 95+% with 180secs rest x 5 cycles

Session 3
20secs 95+% with 10secs rest x 8 cycles (Tabata, give it a try it's brutal)

Obviously the amount of cycles you do is dependant on fitness levels. Covering a wide range of intensities is best for fitness levels but if going for fat loss the higher the intensity the better but for short durations.
bluebomber24
STARTING OUT

Post by bluebomber24 »

I am looking to burn body fat as quickly and [u]safely[/u] as possible while keeping as much muscle mass as possible to get back to wrestling fitness level.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

If that's the case then sprints done outside on grass is best Try for 5 - 10 sets for as long as you sprint as fast as you can instead of 100 meters where the last 30 might be only 80%. To keep muscle up keep calories up (protein mostly) and carbs low to moderate with low GI carbs every meal except straight after training. I would do sprints 1/week, 1 - 2 other 10 - 15min high intensity cardio's and 2 heavy wt sessions/week doing olympic and/or compound lifts for big muscles (legs, chest, back). The more often you train the more calories you'll need so it might be best to do 2 wts, 1 sprint and 1 other cardio. People tend to go too hard when restricting cals for fast wt loss but mostly muscle so it's pointless. One last thing, to do wts properly you should do exercises and lift heavy enough so that you experience an out of breathe type feeling after most sets (not puffed, but breathing heavily or close to). I done 10 x 3 with 5rm for 4 exercises/session, 2/week with no cardio (don't do it) not long ago and worked wonders
bluebomber24
STARTING OUT

Post by bluebomber24 »

yeah, the only problem is that I live in a very rural area of the U.P. of Michigan and I won't see the grass until late May. But I do have a treadmill :o
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

will work just as good with a skipping rope and some ticker. Traedmills can be a bit iffy cos it takes time to adjust speed and inclines and such
bluebomber24
STARTING OUT

Post by bluebomber24 »

There is a 5 sec. delay between 4mph and 8mph on treadmill and so far it is working pretty good, I just add 5 sec. to every run or jog period. I will also mix it up with jump rope and the stair-stepper.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i wood cut off 5secs recovery so you do more work in LESS time thus increased intensity