heavy bag; speed bag; martial arts bag

A forum for anything related to cardiovascular training.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Packard
VETERAN

heavy bag; speed bag; martial arts bag

Post by Packard »

For the last 6 weeks I have resumed hitting the heavy bag, speed bag and the martial arts bag (suspended from the ceiling and tied to the floor with a stretch cord).

I hit the heavy bag for three 10 minute sessions once per week.

I hit the other bags for 20 minutes (total) three times per week.

Here are observations:
  • I have not hit the bags in several years so there was little residual conditioning.
    Upper body cardio is not tightly tied to lower body cardio, and I got winded quickly in the beginning.
    spinal erectors got a good workout on the heavy bag (I don't know how, but they were very tired after each workout.
    femoral biceps and calves got a good workout on the heavy bag--calves especially.
    The speed bag gave me a good pump on the triceps and biceps (especially the outer head).
    torso tightened up noticably.
    hands were sore after each workout the following morning, but fine by mid day. (I have arthritis in the hands.)
    I do not need to add time to the workouts; I just up the intensity as I get in better shape.
And finally, I've trained for a bicycle century (100 mile ride) and then rode the century. I've trained for mountain climbing (and then climbed a mountain). Now that I've been training for a fight I have to find someone to beat up... :twisted:
Any volunteers?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: heavy bag; speed bag; martial arts bag

Post by Boss Man »

If you want a real challenge, why not just go somewhere like the American plains, and lay some smack on a Bison.

You could become a minor legend. The guy that arsewhipped a Bison :P.
Packard
VETERAN

Re: heavy bag; speed bag; martial arts bag

Post by Packard »

Lesplease wrote:Catalina Island is nice. They have buffalo there, too.

OH GOD GO HUNT SOME POLAR BEARS WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!!!
I got home late one day last year and I hit the button on garage door opener before I got on the driveway. There were 3 deer on driveway. Two escaped to the rear of the house, but one ran in the garage. I had new car in there so I jumped out and ran in there after him. We faced off. He went for legs and I got him by the neck and dropped him to the ground. I got him in a full arm bar and he tapped out. I let him go.

So I think I'm ready for some more challenging opponents. I hear that polar bears don't tap out so that should be very interesting.